Need SS preamp that sounds like tube .

I love the tube sound, but I don't necessarily want the tubes. I currently run a CJ PV12. Does anyone have any ideas? My main problem is that auditioning is limited in my area. I am pretty confident that the SS CJ stuff will sound tube-like. But I don't even think there is a dealer in my area. Some needed information: run a Bryston 4B-ST for power, Meridian 508.24 for CD, some PMC FB-1 monitors for speakers, silver Audioquest cable all around. I would like to keep the damage under 5K. As for auditions in my area, I can probably find Bryston, Audio Research, Aragon, Meridian. Oh, I'm sure these stores are authorized dealers for a lot of stuff, but they don't carry some of the pricy brands in stock or as demo. Help would be appreciated.
argent
There is currently a Conrad Johnson PFR SS Preamp on eBay, listed by a very reputable dealer. Auction# 1231260687 ends on 4/25 at 3:51pm PST. Stereophile Class A.
I recently did a showroom comparison between Sonic Frontiers Line 2 and Bryston BP-25, using SS Classe power amp and Martin Logan electrostatics. SF pre was slightly more 3D, but Bryston had better tonality, sounded far more musical and less analytical. Even on mid's, for which tube gear is always more acclaimed, Bryston exhibited more musical tones. I wanted to buy the SF going in to the audition, but I left without being certain of which was better. BP-25 is very nice. SF is slightly more open, with good detail and depth to soundstage.
You could make a substantial improvement in your system by changing speakers and speaker cables. A used pair of Dunlavy SC-III will run approx $2500 (more or less) and use a 4 awg speaker cable (assemble them yourself for approx $1.50 a foot including terminals). The difference in sound quality will more than compensate for the tube effect you want to achieve. The 4 awg cable will provide a warm, detailed sound emulating tubes.
Hi Argent, never heard a SS pre that sounded like tubes. IMO if you want the sound of tubes then ya gotta use tubes. Most tube pre-amps today are very reliable. Trying to emulate tubes with SS could be frustating because SS is SS and tubes are tubes. Kind of like a man trying to look like a woman. Ya get a bit closer and somethin aint right.
Thanks, everyone, for all the input. I do agree that to get tube sound you have to have tubes, but I was just curious if any SS came close. Anyone own the CJ Premier 17LS (back to tube again). I read the review in Stereophile. Curious what a realistic price on this piece is (Stereophile quotes list).