Need SS preamp that sounds like tube .

I love the tube sound, but I don't necessarily want the tubes. I currently run a CJ PV12. Does anyone have any ideas? My main problem is that auditioning is limited in my area. I am pretty confident that the SS CJ stuff will sound tube-like. But I don't even think there is a dealer in my area. Some needed information: run a Bryston 4B-ST for power, Meridian 508.24 for CD, some PMC FB-1 monitors for speakers, silver Audioquest cable all around. I would like to keep the damage under 5K. As for auditions in my area, I can probably find Bryston, Audio Research, Aragon, Meridian. Oh, I'm sure these stores are authorized dealers for a lot of stuff, but they don't carry some of the pricy brands in stock or as demo. Help would be appreciated.
argent

Showing 1 response by 4awg1034

You could make a substantial improvement in your system by changing speakers and speaker cables. A used pair of Dunlavy SC-III will run approx $2500 (more or less) and use a 4 awg speaker cable (assemble them yourself for approx $1.50 a foot including terminals). The difference in sound quality will more than compensate for the tube effect you want to achieve. The 4 awg cable will provide a warm, detailed sound emulating tubes.