Best DVD plyr for under 1000 new or used ?

Hi - Running Pioneer Elite Pro 520, Direct TV HD, Krell KAV 250a, and Krell KAV 500, Lexicon MC-1 with B&W N804, 805, HTM1. I gave my DVD plyr to my dad and need a new one, and would like to spend $1k or less given that I don't watch too many DVDs. Since I have the Pioneer TV, was favoring Pioneer DVD and looking at DV38a. Any new models or new stuff coming out? All advice appreciated... -Baz
bazmataz
Tim, With the price drop on the 9000, I am thinking about buying another unit also. In my opinion, the technology will change a lot over the next 12-18 months. As a result, I am reluctant to spend $3,000+ on a DVD player and don't want to spend upwards of $5k for an external doubler. The 9000 has great build quality and I am more than a casual Sony DVD fan. Having said that, I have to reconcile not having a picture as good as the one I saw on my set using the TVP. However, the Kenwood comes very, very close to the TVP (and IMO betters the TVP in certain respects). The question of whether SACD or DVD-A will prevail is not one that I particularly concerned with, as my principle interest is getting the highest PQ.
I have also done a couple thing to my mits that really helped the piture. Dedicated 20amp. circuit and BP-2. Rock solid background. I have not had the set ISF'd yet.
Tim
I just bought the Pioneer DV47A and have been quite impressed. I upgraded from the DV05 so the transition to progressive scan is probably the most important factor. As I have posted earlier, if you want to take advantage of the multichannel SACD and DVD-A then make sure your receiver or pre-amp has multichannel inputs.

I paid $735 plus shipping at www.soundprofessionals.com