Movie Software make HT a Waste of Resources?

This may be just me but how often after you seen the "cabon copy" explosion riddled movie trailer and said to yourself "God is this stuff stupid or what" and even worse.

As a music listener how long would we put up with consistently poor quality software that offends our intellect?

Seems to me that the movie industry thinks we are just stupid apes willing to buy anything the Hollywood Marketing guys/gals can regurgitate at us. Seriously, think about this next time you see a totally pointless plot but with your rerun "Take" 865.95 of bombs and flashes.

On the other hand where would Casablanca or Citizen Kane be without that great 7.1 sound :)?

I saw a bumper sticker a few years ago that read: "The more you know the less you need" . In the case of movies, maybe another sticker could read "The more you think the less you are willing spend in front of the screen watching carbon copies". Once in a while it is fun to watch a good boom boom if there is something to fill the space between the boom boomies such as Saving Private Ryan.

I am probably missing something here but why is home theatre worth ten's of thousands of dollars of our discretionary income?

Maybe that old song "In the year 2525 we will not need our minds, will not need our eyes...." was overly kind with respect to the date.

nanderson
This thread is on target on the most important aspect of our audio choices: Who controls the game and how they control the game. It is, in good measure, how "we" in the rush to keep up with latest and "greatest" movie hardware are actually destroying our range and depth of real options.

Golliath sized multinational manufacturers building in some of the most planned obsolete technology in the history of humanity (home theatre)and the impacts it has on the rest of our audio options, the natural resources it wastes due in part by the extremely short term market value of the products and the related perception it fosters in young people that electronics are throw away items (like kleenex), and the people it adversely affects. Companies are dying off, like flys on a Frosty Fall night, on a regular basis as they try their 2-3 year stint into Home Theatre before collapsing primarily because they lack the resources to follow the dance of "Ring around Format Tree Game" (this process is not too much different than the apparent crushing of the Soviet Union by the Soviets burning up all their cash reserves trying to compete around Military Arms Tree).

A not to hard to imagine result: Essentially only multinational corporations will be around making electronics we are "allowed" to have in a few years (Clarion Car Radio people buying up McIntosh and diluting quality for the sake of a ton of me-too convenience laden non-sense audio, Harmon Kardon International playing hard ball with Mark Levinson), and destroying jobs and at the same time making for nearly worthless hardware 6 years after it is made), and zoombie like quality of not questioning the disportionate outlays of money necessary to follow this Ring Around The Format Tree game is central to a debate that we all should take to the Multinationals including Sony, Pioneer, and Hitachi etc. The remote control life seems to have gone from meaning us controlling our TV sets to the Corporations controlling us by testing how fast they can make equipment ready for the landfill and how fast we will be to buy into this wasteful cycle. Just so they can keep the profit cycle accelerating (how many have tried to get support from any of these big multinationals after their equipment is 8 or more years old as compared to companies of passion and integrity like Audio Research, BAT, etc.)

PS: Hope my color choices on fonts are less offensive and my arguments more surgical. :)
No,I'm sorry, but this thread is not on target! As a matter of fact there seems to be no "target" at all. It starts off discussing the lack of good movies for us to watch. From there it becomes a negative, rambling discourse on a multitude of subjects including, but not limited to,
1.Discretionary income and how we should spend our money.
2.The level of intelligence of Americans
3.How we should spend our time.
4.Charitable contributions
5.Mass marketing and hostile corporate takeovers.
6.Mike Tyson, Enron, 911, the Amish, ...and on and on...

I think it is important to talk about all of these issues, but this is an Audio-Video Forum. If you would like to discuss these issues, by all means feel free to start your own chat room on AOL and stay up all night if you would like.I love this website, and I log on to buy something, or to see if anybody else has used a particular type of amplifier, projector, interconnects, and yes, even recommendations of good movies or CD's.

As far as the political issues, and "this is what's wrong with America" stuff. It doesn't belong here. If you don't like the movies being made, don't buy them. If Harmon Kardon "takes over" Madrigal and starts making junk, then people will buy high-end stuff from other companies. If corporations continue to change formats, people will stop investing in equipment (i.e. Divix) until they feel comfortable that this format is here to stay. (DVD)
The short answer to the previous thread is: the more you know the more you realize things are related. The relationships are clear in the thread and to the marketers that pray upon a "unquestioning" public. The less you question the less you understand the connections till it is too late. Also, birds of a feather flock together and tend not to challenge each other about alternative views. I would rather raise challenging questions about the validity of purchases to the very ones doing the purchases. For example, it would make little sense to discuss the insanity of massive, resource intensive, nearly uncontrollable (almost like an unguided missle) at high speeds, gas-guzzling SUV's for the average american and all the world's living things in a Kayaking/Bicyling/Health Forum (everyone there knows it).

Junk has been made in this country for a long time and has done nothing to stop people from buying more of it. Nothing may be more evident of this then how much of the US Population stick processed, fat laden, anti-biotic injected food into themselves. American waistlines, fat clogged sewer lines near many resturants (national recognized problem by those who scratch beneath the veneer of marketing), and fat clogged veins is some of the proof. I am sure the marketers at McDonalds did not consider saying "get your weekly allowance of fat in one meal" and "impress the heck out of the opposite sex by becoming a big, fat, slob that is dramatically more prone to heart disease and cancer by making us a habit". Rather they divert the USA public's attention on what the eating experience "should be" (translated - "think like this about eating") and to their credit "they have been successful" in the US yet attacked for the same message in Europe. Why is it McIntosh reportedly sells more of their 2-channel high end outside of the US and more Home Theatre in the US ? I think there is a "related" McDonald's marketing strategy in here somewhere. Just so the big picture is not lost again: The big multinationals, some of which are a completely connected dictator of our consumer choices: by owning Motion Picture Studios (by no means an accident), movie software, and the movie hardware. Speaking of movie hardware the big boys when they will be releasing Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, Dolby 5.1, Dolby 7.2, Dolby Digital II (usually shortly after the small guys are too heavily invested in a previous format). No one asked us if we want nine-speakers (7.2 format) in our living spaces but the marketing people created "new" ways of thinking, ala McDonalds type schemes, about movies at the very time they recognized the dramatic shift in Americans leading a active life to one of the "couch potatoe" virtual life. Heck, even ads making the biggest joke of all about this. I can imagine some CEO saying "Stupid Americans we'll even show you what happens when all you do is watch TV/movies and, they must be laughing, you'll like it and we will to all the way to the bank": The ads on TV almost always put an soft, overweight man in an even softer, easy chair. The man demonstrating as much activity as a person recently back from major heart surgery. They must have tag teamed with McDonalds on this one.

I contend the big multinationals know that the small niche firms that design equipment for people who love music will always be around unless the marketing team can make American's "rethink" home entertainment such that all the small companies and the small stereo shops, that cator to the savvy consumer, will be crushed trying to keep up with constant format changes. Once crushed they can then sell direct via the WEB or "brain-dead" sales people stores like Circuit City and Best Buy. How many audio stores with caring people have closed down around you? Then with the American public believing(like they did with the marketing generated shift to high fat, chemical laden food) will no longer have a readily available reference point to compare to then can totally dominant the electronics market. If you don't think this is the likely scenario being played out then try to imagine how much technical depth the Editors of Home Theater (March 2002 is an excellent example) think you (the consumer) want? The March 2002 issue looks like it is pandering to children (in adult bodies) who have yet to develop any sense of how information can be used to make better choices. Most of the technical articles are focused on Features and many of the convenience features (so you don't have to lift your fast food body out of the easy chair) rather then any "in-depth" review of the features and the objective/subjective need for them. Compare the amount and mega-size of the Graphics, that presumably "say it all" but say nothing at all (I am sorry it says everything about the approach to the American consumer I refer to above). It is not just a matter, as a commentor states above, of me just stop renting movies and buying movie hardware if I don't like them. I can not visit my old trusted friends who spent hours/days of time with me assisting me with purchases of hi-end audio, went out their way to hand deliver and set up trial pieces of equipment that cost about 1/20th of a hi-end video projector, and spread the consumer dollar in more places around the community rather then concentrating all dollars, yen, etc in Multinationals in some far off city or country. The people making this stuff is even a sadder story. What you purchase and from whom you purchase it has profound impacts on the quality of life for the whole planet.

Another, and I contend intended, benefit of a less discriminating music listening audience is that, with the help of FCC Chairman Michael Powell, they can, through their ownership (ALSO) of nearly all FM Stations push cheap compressed digital signals (signals that travel farther but have less sonic quality) along with advertisements of their products. Then without people understanding the benefits of local community based radio (big national/mulitinational firms lobbied extremely hard to take away any discenting views via local community owned and operated FM, see various articles on this at www.fair.org or see www.fsrn.org) the big multinationals can push satellite radio that have no discenting commentary (on anything). With no other way to new and diverse music in mobile form (car radio, where most people are when going back and forth to work to save money to buy their newer SUV and mega-thousand dollar Home Theatre) the multinationals can then push their own limited number of musical artists pushing out the largest amount of precanned, me-too, music. (Think big multinationals trying to own all the bases, and then some, is paranoid? If you don't want to take the time to go to the links above can you say ENRON?) Maybe 911 will make, but not likely, the US population more aware that a world exists outside their Home Theatre door that was not created in La-La Land aka Hollywood.

Sort of an Epilog:

If you read any newspaper or heard any radio or TV today you will recognize that what I spoke of above about one Corporate Voice planned and pushed by FCC Chairman, Michael Powell was put on the ultra fast track today. Now AOL and GE will almost certainly make sure you do not get any information they do not want you to know.