Advise on VHS/VCR to purchase New or Used??

My older Sony VCR is near death...SLV-676UC. What is the best picture/sound/value out there in a new or used VCR? My TV is an older Sony XBR series and I am using the 9000 model SACD/DVD unit for DVD's but still want to be able to rent movies for my childern..etc.
whatjd
Super VHS machine is the way to go in that respect. Check the J&R Music World site they have several models available.
You can buy a new S-Video JVC 3800 for under 150! I got two for $138/each three months ago off the net. (Search on Mysimon.com shopping engine for current best price.) Even at $150 it's a great buy. It records in "ET" mode which is S-VHS quality on regular tape. (However, it'll play back only on an "ET" capable machine.) Tuner and picture quality is outstanding. Up to three years ago you had to pay $300 for the same features! Not only will this machine play your children's tapes, you'll be able to record off the air/cable in good quality. At this price buying used makes no sense.
I'm with jwong1; Don't buy a used vcr.(period) I like the JVC line and like Bobby_B; says get a super -vhs machine.