DD & DTS

Okay, I've read some reviews on the difference between DD & DTS. I understand some of it now. I'm not building a home theater, I just want 5.1 in my living room. I found a nice system for a nice price; hard to beat deal. It has all the usual features (DD, Proligic, DSP, etc.), but no DTS, or even Prologic II. My question is: is it foreseeable that DTS is going to pass up DD and I won't be able to rent DVD's with DD in 2,3, 4+ years. I know nobody has a crystal ball, but I'm not that up on tech. changes in the home audio world. I know I'll be happy with DD 5.1 unless it leaves me behind and new releases are DTS. Any thoughts? Thanks.
cdkalka62d
All dvds I've seen have DD or ( DD and DTS ). DTS sounds noticeably better in my system. I have a Marantz SR19-EX receiver doing the decoding.
IMO, DTS is smoother and more clear than DD. I also get better bass response from a DTS encoded disc. I have found that some discs are greatly better than their DD counterparts like "Saving Privte Ryan" or "Jurassic Park". Maybe they have better sound because these movies were originally produced with a DTS soundtrack for the theater??? Whatever the case, I have found the DTS versions of discs to be superior on the whole to their DD counterparts for audio - video seems to be the same.
Down the road get yourself a DTS reciever or processor and
you will be glad you did. There is no comparison between DD
and DTS. It's a night and day difference 99 % of the time IMO.
Dwudman...In audio there is no such thing as "without question". Just the same, I think you are right.