Preamp HELP!!! for Pass Aleph 3

I have a Pass Aleph 3 and Proac Response 1SC, Red Dawn speaker cable. I currently have a choice of Naim CD 3.5, SF SFCD-1, and Conrad Johnson DV2b. I have Cardas Golden Cross between my BAT VK3i preamp and the Pass, and Red Dawn between the CD player and the BAT. Does anyone know a better full function preamp I could be using? Which CD player would you use? Or any system modifications I could make?
kforton
I have had an excellent match with a Muse Model 3 pre for my Aleph 2's. Mine is the one without the additional power supply. They are new around 2k, but used in the 800-900 range. I used to own an Aleph 3 and "upgraded" to the monos. I am not sure I like them as much as the 3. I think your speakers are good for the Aleph 3 as well. My system, if it helps is a Muse 5 transport, EAD 7000 MkIII D/A for front end. The model 3 pre and B&W 804s. I used to run the Red Dawn from pre to power until auditioning the WBT 5150 cable. Great neutral cable that worked better in my system- now I'm using a Zeus Audio silver cable from pre to power- large improvement (good product even if the company was awful). Speaker cables are Cardas. I used to run RD speaker cable as well, and it worked wonderfully in my old large home. Now, I have moved to a smaller place and the room acoustics really harshened up the sound I was getting with the RD, so I put the RD away and switched to the Cardas for a short term fix until my abode grows again. Anyway, I found the Muse pre to be very neutral and sounds wonderful with the Aleph stuff.It also appealed o the lazy man in me as it has a remote. Also, I agree with whomever said to ditch the cheap PC's that Pass sends with the amps. I spoke with the Pass guys at length when i bought the amps and they said "not to waste money on better PC's" for these amps. It was hard for me to buy this as someone who has way too much accessory tweaking, conditioning, and cable madness going on,but I went along with the advice and stayed with thee factory cables. I only recently put some very reasonably priced (200 a pop) Discovery PC's on the monos and what a difference! Much more open and dynamic- just like any other time I've improved the PC's on any component- go figure. Anyway, to make your short question long as I have, try the Muse if you have the opportunity, Kevin Halverson- the owner/designer is a very reasonable guy and his stuff sounds great. Hope this was of some help. Todd (tsquared)
Thanks for all the help! I ended up buying a used Pass Aleph P with remote for $1500--I consider it a bargain. I am looking for a pair of Nordost SPM interconnects to link them. Any other suggestions? Rest of system: Proac 1SC, Analysis Plus 12, Basis/SME/Clearaudio, Black Cube, Vecteur CD player (soon, I hope).
I have an ALEPH 5 with a CJ PV10A Pre Amp. I like the combo. Like other CJ tube gear the PV10A tends to mellow the sound a bit. CJ unit is a good value for the $$.