The Arm/Cartridge Matching Myth

When I began my journey in high-end audio 36 years ago….no-one ever wrote about arm and cartridge matching nor tonearm resonant frequency…?
Over the last 10 years or so…this topic has become not only ubiquitous, but has mutated beyond its definition, to THE guiding principle of matching cartridge to tonearm….❓❗️😵
The Resonant Frequency can be calculated using a complex formula relating Tonearm Effective Mass to the cartridge’s Compliance….or it can be simply measured using a Test record of various frequency sweeps.
The RECOMMENDED Resonant Frequency of any tonearm/cartridge combination is between 8-12Hz.
But WHY is this the recommended frequency and WHAT does it really mean…?

The raison d’etre of this Resonant Frequency…is to avoid WARPED records inducing ‘resonance’ into the tonearm…..
Say what…❓😵
WARPED records….❓❗️
Yes…..ONLY warped records❗️😎
But doesn’t it have any meaning for NORMAL records…❓
None whatsoever…..😊👍
Let me explain….🎼

A badly warped record induces the tonearm to rise and fall rapidly on the ‘sprung’ cantilever of the cartridge.
Depending on the severity and frequency of this warping…..a subsonic frequency between 2-5Hz is induced so if your tonearm/cartridge Resonant Frequency dips into this frequency range….it will begin resonating and thus miss-track and/or induce hum through your system.🎤
Keeping the lower limits of your tonearm/cartridge Resonant Frequency to 8Hz simply insures against this possibility.🎶

So what about the 12Hz upper limit…❓
This simply insures against the possibility of any ultra low-level frequency information which MAY be on the record, also inducing this same miss-tracking or hum. For instance if your tonearm/cartridge Resonant Frequency was 18Hz and you had an organ record or one containing synthesised bass going down to 16Hz…..your tonearm may miss-track or you MAY develop a hum❓😢

So how many badly WARPED record do you possess…❓
I have three out of a thousand or so……and have NEVER experienced miss-tracking or hum even on these three…❗️😍

Yet these days….everyone (without exception it seems)…even tonearm and cartridge designers….happily follow the dictum of this Arm/Cartridge MATCH as if it affected sound quality…..❓
This Resonant Frequency has ZERO affect on the sound quality of a particular tonearm/cartridge combination and I have proved it hundreds of times with a dozen different arms and over 40 cartridges.

The best match for ANY cartridge ever made….is simply the very best tonearm you can afford…whatever its Effective Mass…😘
128x128halcro
Here's the calculation:
www.luckydog.demon.co.uk/images/EMC.xls

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/111263917/EMC-EMC-Luckydog-s-Tonearm-Effective-Mass-Calculator-Step

Calculate the moment of inertia then divide by the square of the effective length. The MOI is = mass times distance squared. Or use the calculator.

No, I wasn't confusing resonance of the arm tube with low frequency resonance, but they're inextricably linked. The idea is to prevent resonance from increasing into an atomic explosion, while dissipating vibrations.
I'm not advocating resonance outside of the neutral zone, just pointing out a couple of conceptual errors.
Regards,
Nice Post Tonywinsc....👍
Thank you..😘
The danger is that being outside the quiet zone (10Hz +/-) can result in excessive wear or even damage to your cartridge and records- even if it sounds fine.
In the interests of science.....further elaboration and evidence would be appreciated...❓👀
Thank you to all who have contributed here....😍

For a few years, I have bought and sold a variety of vintage MM and LOMC cartridges together with vintage Japanese tonearms of different masses and designs....and I have been astonished at the sound quality that is possible compared to the modern genus of LOMC cartridges and their currently lauded tonearms....👀❓
The most startling aspect of these experiences...has been the elevation in sound quality when using cartridges in arms that are decidedly a 'bad match' according to the theoretical Arm/Cartridge Resonant Frequency equation....😎❓
With the very high-mass FR-66s tonearms.....virtually ALL the high-compliance MM cartridges I mount on them, transcend their often humble status to become magical devices emitting radiance, tranquility and bliss unheard from them in lesser arms....😘
I'm not talking degrees of betterment here.....I'm talking paradigm shifts of exaltation...👋🎼🎵🎶

For five years...I have been trying to reconcile this fact against the apparent collision with scientific thought...😱
And I now think I have...😃

It really matters naught to me and my musical enjoyment that the majority of audiophiles accept the dictum that "heavy arms are better for low-compliance cartridges and light arms are better for high-compliance ones"...except that:-
1. They are depriving themselves of potentially mind-blowing experiences
2. Their constant recommendations to Newbies on the multiple audio Forums based on this dictum, are depriving others of possible wonderful experiences

Now I have sold many MM cartridges which I bought but which failed to excite me on any one of a dozen or so arms...😭
What's the big deal...❓😎
So what's the big deal if you try a cartridge and arm combination (which is NOT recommended)...and it doesn't work for you...❓
So sell one or the other...
It's not the end of the world...😃
And you may be in for a big and exultant surprise...😘❓🎶
Halcro, I think I see where you are having difficulty. The FR-66 is not a "very high-mass" tone arm- although its on the high side for sure, but not 'very' high. Additionally, its tracking weight method uses a spring, which can reduce the effective mass somewhat. Since the counterbalance is part of the effective mass, the result here is that the actual effective mass is probably lower than you imagined.

What is the highest compliance cartridge that you have used with this arm?
Hi Halcro, I gave one example from a personal experience. The tonearm/stylus was cycling at 16 Hz while playing a record. It was interesting to see. Long term it would have worn out the stylus for sure.
The other thing that I have seen happen before is the stylus jump the groove with only the slightest provocation.
That makes me think of something: Is it only me or do others try not to cue the needle in the middle of the record? I have this feeling that dropping the needle, even ever so slowly in the middle of the record will leave some minor damage in the groove. So I tend to cue at the beginning and let it play through to the track that I want to hear. Is that a pointless exercise?