AV receivers to stay away from??

I am looking for an entry level (ie. cheap $200-350 used)AV receiver that I will use for 50/50 movies/music. What of the mainstream brands (Onkyo, Harmon K., Denon, Yamaha)are decent and which should I stay away from. I would like it to sound decent in stereo mode also. Thanks, in advance for any input!! Chris
chris_pisani
Your choices are decent ones (avoid cheap Sony, Pioneer,etc...they're disposable). The Yamahas are built well, but do sound thin. My brother still usues my first Onkyo receiver (purchased in 83). HK is good too (more "bass", less air), but I would probably agree with the above...Denon may have the best sound/feauture combination (or Onkyo, but I'm not sure about the hissing problem).
You will find someone that has had problems with every model if you ask around long enough. The brands you list are all very good. Onkyo's high end line will have "Integra" in the name.
Pisani, all 4 brands you mention have good units that can be had used in your price range. I favor the Denon myself. I owned a Denon 3300 for about a year(went to separates). It was a great unit. I saw one today for $400 at AudioReview.com market place. Just over your budget, but 105 wpc and DD/dts. I not familiar with the new pricing on Denon 1801 and other units. I have listened to the Yamaha, H/K, and Onkyo and once again all are good units. A/B all four in the same system would possible bring one to the top, but I never did such. Denon IMO looked the best and always sounded very musical. Hope this helps......Happy Listening.......LR
Thanks to everyone for the input.What about Marantz? Iknow they used to be considered great. Hifi.com has the sr3000 av receiver on sale 40wx3; 25w surround. Are the Marantz receivers up there with Denon and Onkyo??? Chris
I would also reccomend a Denon. The avr-3300 is the best all around receiver made considering price and performance. Is replacement, the 3801 is definitly awsome, but I doubt you can find one within your budget. they retail at about $1200. My local dealer has an older avr-3200 in their pre-owned stock for around 3 or 4 hundred. That is nearly identical to the 3300. the 3200 does not have dts.