High current or high wattage amps

I have somewhat difficult to drive speakers 86db 6ohm, the manufacturer of the speakers recommends about 200 watts to "open up" the speakers for the best performance. One amplifier manufacturer recommends higher current amps as being more important than the high wattage with the more difficult speakers. If my listening levels are not loud and the room is not large (16x30x7) is current a more important consideration?
128x128bohemian7
Then again, if you use electrostatic speakers, these normally require copious voltage as opposed to current--and a "high-current" amp produces less voltage for a given wattage rating if I'm not mistaken. So for driving electrostatics, the reverse could be true. But for driving big-ass dynamic systems (especially those of low sensitivity), I agree that a high-current design makes sense.
dr. joe is essentially correct. One of the ways to see if the powersupply and the circuit design is able to deliver the juice, is the ability to run at double power in at lower impedance. I believe that many audiophiles greatly underestimate the peak power required on good recordings if you are listing at concert hall volumes. Many amps do not have the power supply capable of feeing the amplifier at peak output. I think many tube amps get a bum rap in the bass department because they are essentially underpowerd and don't match well to the speaker's bass impedance curves. I own Dunlavy SC-V's and on recent thread on the best amp discussed some of these issues in more depth. If your speakers have a sensitivity of 1 watt for 90 db in your room the peak power requirements for a row 10 experience of Mahler or Stravinsky would take about 250 watts with no headroom or loss of power due to impedance curve mismatch. Throw in an extra 6db of power to cover both and you are in the neighborhood of 1 kilowatt. High power amps or high efficiency speakers are required for a realistic reproduction of the technically suprior recordings.
it sounds to me like you need high watts and high current. suggest you try the jrdg 8tihc, if it's in your price range. i use one with my <90db, 4 ohm speakers to great advantage. it's a bit pricy but less so than the only competition i would consider: bridged accuphase a50's or the top end of the boulder line (monoblocks or the big stereo).
I won't embarass myself in talking tech but I just solved a major problem involving wattage. I own dunlavy V's and had poor sound with 250 plus Wolcott amps. I tried to remedy this with VTL 750's and the sound was the same. I called Dunlavy and they told me to try the Aloia amps which they were going to use as their reference. At 30 watts a channel I was super skeptical. I was awestruck when I heard the control of this speaker. Aloia told me that the inductive power supply is the key to providing clean current. Current is what moves the voice coils of the speaker.
Snook: Couldn't find info on Aloia's any link you might suggest? Any hints on their price? Thanks