Center Channel - Help be choose

I am looking to upgrade my center channel. Have B&K REF 10 and REF 7250 amp. Will eventually upgrade Fronts (Paradigm Ref 100s). Soliloquy, Monitor Silver, Aeriel, B&W are current considerations, but B&W is only one of them I have heard (and am likely to hear). I upgrading from reference Paradigm powered center (which is excellent) so 1) we know I'm nuts, (but I do have the amp now with the B&K) and 2) the upgrade must be substantial but a good bargain. Dealers or people with something to sell are welcome to comment, but please identify yourself as such. Thanks in advance. Ed
128x128shaqspack
Hey Ed--nice name! I sell both B&W and Paradigm in a specialty store. I would consider the CDM9 and the CDM Center to replace your studios. Having listened to both combinations in the same system (B&K AVR307), I feel the jump in price is very well justified. The B&W's offer tons more more resolution, better definition in the bass, and a better soundstage. I think what stands out most is the midrange clarity and the quicker bass. The new CDM9 is essentially the N804 without the cool cabinet (and $900 lighter). Unfortunately I have not listened to any of the others you mentioned, so I cannot give you any help there. I do agree with the other posts--don't skimp on the center, and definitely match all three. In fact, match the surrounds, too, for the ultimate result. Although the CDMC is very ungainly, it is basically a reconfigured CDM1--which is a helluva speaker. Good luck. Ed
Thanks to all....My resolution so far.... Do nothing. Interestingly, my local B&W dealer thinks it's the B&K pre-pro that is the weak link in the "big" system, altho' I think eventually I'll have to have B&W. May also go the next step up in the B&W center, if I can "create" 1/2 inch of space. Your inputs have saved me some costly mistakes of impusivity over what I knew already. PS shaqspack is for my lab, Shaquille, and he was named after his somewhat smaller namesake. Ehm3 - let me know how to find you for future B&W
Shaq, I can be found at [email protected]. As a dealer, I am not allowed to sell outside of my territory, but often an employee has personal stuff for sale, or maybe we have a demo piece we need to move. I will be happy to keep in touch with you, and feel free to email me with any questions/opinions you may have. Happy holidays!