Tubes & Audio Research Corp.

When Audio Research ships a set of tubes, they have them individually marked to match a certain area where they want you to install them. As long as they are the same type of tube does it make a difference which tube goes where? Are you better off buying replalcement tubes through Audio Research and pay 3 times the normal price for them for the testing they do?
haydn_josef
Go to my website for a picture. Anyone who is well read (go to Tube Asylum at www.audioasylum.com) will tell you a Tungsram will have a metal tab on the side of the plate with numbers embossed, upper and lower spacers that have smooth edges like a Philips Holland tube would (they had a relationship in the old days), and shiny nickel plated pins. Not gold. And for your information....Tungsram is a Hungarian company and last time I check that IS Eastern Europe. At least most folks would call it that, though technically it is "Eastern Central Europe" since we are getting "nit picky". Manufacturers are the worst at tube ID and plaster anything on there that they are told. Not that they mean harm. It's too labor intensive to study and remember the small things that ID a tube. I can site really goofy statments about MOST companies. But then that is not their biz, is it? Just like I would not suppose to design and manufacture an amp. Examples? I have a major high end manufacturer labeled 12AX7 that say "made in Germany" that are Ei Yugoslavia made. "Valvo" E88CC that are made by Tesla in Slovakia. Siemens 6922 that are now showing up as Mullard...neither of which have the proper etched codes.
Guys... what about the question at hand. If this issue is so important, please start a new thread.
Vnet-the topics on Audiogon frequently expand to different discussions.We are trying to cut down on rude remarks here.I find this interesting amd worth reading.Much can be learned.