Tubes & Audio Research Corp.

When Audio Research ships a set of tubes, they have them individually marked to match a certain area where they want you to install them. As long as they are the same type of tube does it make a difference which tube goes where? Are you better off buying replalcement tubes through Audio Research and pay 3 times the normal price for them for the testing they do?
haydn_josef
It is not worth 3 times what they want.I would stay away from the California guy.Been stuck with some bad tubes as have many others.I f you have let others now.Try www.vintagetubeservices.com
Highend, I've had troubles with "the California guy" also. I'm not sure why so many people mention him. He's a flake and will outright lie to protect his ass. I lost over $500 in repair and shipping charges due to a VERY bad tube failure the first time I installed it. It was supposed to be a "premium" tube (tighter measured tolerances...). He denied that the tube could have caused the problems and then quickly sent a new tube to the mfg "free of charge". Also, my friend bought some NOS Tungsram E88CC's and they were not NOS tubes (nor Tungsrams for that matter). Now that is gall!!! I hope others figure this out.
I called up Audio Research and asked the same question. The technicial responded that I would see slightly diminished performance by buying non-AR tubes. He said that they match the tubes as octets (for a vt100),and that they match more closely than OEM manufacturers. Hard to put a number on it. The cost does not appear to be threefold however. I priced a replacement tube set from thetubestore at around 350 w/shipping, and the AR set is 517 from a local dealer. It appears that people on this board have had good and disastrous experiences. Any suggestions on good tube retailers ?
"Uncle" Ned at Triode Electronics. He seems like a straight shooter to me. Tubes ARE tested. I have not had a problem and as stated above tubes are guaranteed for 6 MONTHS. Also prices are very competitive. http://www.triodeel.com
I second the info on the California guy, he told me that he wouldn't sell 8802's (Mullard gold pins) unless I was a previous customer of equiptment. I ask him if Mullard made 7308's and his answer was"sort of". When I ask him to elaborate he said he didn't have time to give history lessons. I bought some Mullard 8802's from Tubeworld. To the subject of tubes from ARC, Steve Huntley is currently doing some mods on a SP 9 MKIII for me and he needed the tubes to adjust the bias to match the tubes. I could have the terminology incorrect but perhaps ARC does the same thing to each unit since there is an adjustment. Thanks to everyone for participating on this site. Richard