Whats a good tube preamp?

I'm considering the VTL 5.5 TL the Audio Research Ref1, LS25 and LS16 amd the Conrad Johnson Premier 14, 17LS and 16LS. Which of those do you think to be the more transparent with Electrostats such as a Martin Logan Aerius being driven by a conrad Johnson Premier 11 tube amp
tbonephile
Hi T-bone, May I suggest an audition of the Balanced Audio Technology 50se? In my opinion it's a giant killer! I compared the 50se to the ARC Ref 1 in my system, and to my ears the BAT won hands down. I think you should audition the pre-amps in ? in your system, trust your ears and decide for yourself which you prefer. Please keep in mind the cables and "amp" used to drive the Martin Logans. Martin Logans are very picky about the amp they are partnered with do to the impedance load they impose on the amp. This is only my opinion but to my ears compared to the other pre-amps listed the 50se will outperform them even at under half the price of the most expensive one listed. Another pre-amp to consider would be the CAT. I haven't heard it recently but I think it's more than worthy of an audition. Good luck and enjoy the journey! Take care, Tom
I must comment on what some are saying about CJ having colored sound. After owning several models (PV-8, PV-12AL & familiar with the PV-5 , Premeir-14, the 16LS),yes indeed the older models were quite colored, but not the new ones. In fact many CJ lovers prefer the older models & find the newer models to be bright sounding, when they are in my opinion much more nuetral sounding offering a much higher level of resolution, transparency & 3 dimention. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better more nuetral & transparent sounding preamp than the 16LS. Not to mention the synergy it would have with your Premier 11A.
I own and love a Cat SL1 MK3. Very neutral sounding, never drawing attention to itself, just the music. Good phono stage as well (if that matters to you). Good luck.
The Balanced Audio Technologies (BAT) lineup is great. I got a BAT-VK5i here a while back for a little over 2 grand. It has a really nice sound and doesn't compromise in any area that I can find (or hear).
I recently purchased a Welborne Labs Reveille Tube Linestage and love it. In a short review from the current issue of Positive Feedback magazine the editor, David Robinson, described this unit as having "low noise, neutral, with decent gain, precisely what you want in a fine preamp". I would describe the unit as being smooth, detailed with excellent bass reproduction. List price is $2,295. It also comes in kit form.