Why spend megabucks on a tuner?

I've seen old Marantz and McIntosh tuners sold here on Audiogon for a fortune. My question is: Why?

Most radio stations now have highly compressed dynamics. Most of the few that don't (for my location, anyway) are located on the fringes of reception. And then what happens when you move to a different location, which may have even fewer good listening choices?

At least with a turntable or CD player, I feel that you have a lot more choices. And, it's not location-dependent. With streaming audio becoming a reality for most people, and now HD radio (which I'll admit I haven't heard yet), why is there still such a market for high-end tuners?

Michael
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
I am typing this as I listen to WQXR, a non-compressed classical radio station, broadcasting from New York City. There are still great FM radio stations out there.

I am listening on my Scott 310-e tube tuner. It's 45 years old. However, it cost me only $700 including a complete alignment etc.

Yes, maybe one day FM may be all digital and my tuner will be worth next to nothing. However, that possibility is not definite.

Compare that to digital source components. They always depreciate quickly. For example, my Rega Jupiter 2000 cost $2000 when new and is now worth $650. In a few years it will be worth even less. Technology is always changing & new models are always coming out.

The sound of a well tuned vintage tube tuner with a good radio station is glorious.

I think that the rate of depreciation of digital sources is more definite than the possibility that there will be no more non-compressed radio stations
my fave radio station (KTRU 91.7 in houston) offers both a digital stream and FM. when i tried PC streamed to the squeezebox, using the wadia 861se as a DAC, i found the kenwood was miles ahead.

other digital stations sounded very satisfying, but some stations sound best on FM, and some stations justify a uber tuner, a mast antenna, and all the parts & tweaks one can find...
Jeffb28451
Hi Jeff,this George.I bought the Mcintosh MR78 from YOU .Remember?Reading your post,now I understand why you sold it back then!It was and still is truly in truly mint condition.The cabinet was rough though.I haven't used the tuner yet believe or not!I don't listen to FM at all.It was an investement purchase.LOL
Best regards
George
I don't deny that there are still great radio stations worth listening to with a good tuner. But my sense is that they are becoming fewer and fewer with each passing year. And I also believe that the antenna and location make far more difference than, say, a CD transport.

That's why I'm questioning really expensive tuners, and it's interesting to get varying opinions on this!

Michael