How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Bottle-neck ferrites?? Check out the full back page ad in Whineophile. I've got all the back issues if your interested ...can't bear to part with them and February is the special annual cork issue with all the "A" recommendations.

Sincerely, I remain
I must be doing something wrong, 'cause when I use it, I can't tweak it, and when I've used enough of it, it tweaks me. This leaves me all perplexed. Has that to do with the ongoing battle in these pages between subjectivists and that strange brotherhood of EEs, whoever they might be. Aliens? Please enlighten!
Sincerely clueless,
I have a friend who's been in this since the early 1970s. He recently dumped his Conrad Johonson and Theta separates, and bought a Classe integrated amp and a Theta Miles. He likes the new system better than the old, and he put some cash in his pocket.
I don't think I could ever get off the merry-go-round because I have always loved this hobby. As I have gotten older though I have tried to simplify my system. I now have a nice integrated tube amplifier, smaller floor-standing speakers (so I don't have to mess around with stands), a high-end cd player and high quality interconnects and speaker cables. I still feel, eventhough I have downsized, that it is important to stay with quality high-end equipment.