Increase total Speaker Impedance Question

Hi All,

I got a tech question. I have built a pair of speaker using a unique crossover for each speaker. Based on my test, if I parallel wire them, the resulting frequencies are correct, but resulting frequencies are NOT correct when I tried to wire several speakers as a series (series-parallel wiring). I suspect that because series wiring requires daisy chaining two or more crossovers, the resulting frequencies are messed up. However, if I retain current parallel wiring, the total impedance of the speaker system is too low and the amplifier often goes into protection mode. Is there anyway to add a resistor in between the amp and the speaker to rectify the situation? And if I do add a resistor, will that affect the sound quality? Thanks!!
angelgz2
Hi Bill and Al,

I would like to thank you for all your invaluable inputs. After thorough testing, I cannot tell a difference (besides loudness) between using a 3 ohm resistor vs splitting the speakers (tri-wiring). Therefore, I would like to say the idea of adding a resistor is a success. Although like you said, there maybe theoretical sonic differences, such difference is probably too small at this level to be perceived by my ears. As I don't have such good ears, I will settle with a resistor in the middle. Again, Thanks for everyone's great inputs.

Ait, thanks for letting me know the Speltz Zero Autoformer as I never knew such stuff exists. However, at $1140 a pair, I am happy to settle with a $26 pair of US-made resistors. When my boss gives me a raise in the future, I'll definitely consider them : )

Thanks,
Ryan
You can get them for less than half that price without the box (naked).

In any case, glad to hear you found a solution.
I use the naked auto transformers. They are great. With luck you may be able to get a used pair for less than $300.