Increase total Speaker Impedance Question

Hi All,

I got a tech question. I have built a pair of speaker using a unique crossover for each speaker. Based on my test, if I parallel wire them, the resulting frequencies are correct, but resulting frequencies are NOT correct when I tried to wire several speakers as a series (series-parallel wiring). I suspect that because series wiring requires daisy chaining two or more crossovers, the resulting frequencies are messed up. However, if I retain current parallel wiring, the total impedance of the speaker system is too low and the amplifier often goes into protection mode. Is there anyway to add a resistor in between the amp and the speaker to rectify the situation? And if I do add a resistor, will that affect the sound quality? Thanks!!
angelgz2
I'm thinking something like the Henry Engineering PatchBox II Stereo Output Multiplier may work. It's got a balanced input with multiple balanced and unbalanced outputs. If that works it actually solves all the problems.
Look up Speltz Zero Autoformer. It's like a gearbox for your system, allowing you to step down the amp output impedance (or step up the speaker input impedance, depending on your viewpoint) without wasting all that power as heat.
Hi Bill and Al,

I would like to thank you for all your invaluable inputs. After thorough testing, I cannot tell a difference (besides loudness) between using a 3 ohm resistor vs splitting the speakers (tri-wiring). Therefore, I would like to say the idea of adding a resistor is a success. Although like you said, there maybe theoretical sonic differences, such difference is probably too small at this level to be perceived by my ears. As I don't have such good ears, I will settle with a resistor in the middle. Again, Thanks for everyone's great inputs.

Ait, thanks for letting me know the Speltz Zero Autoformer as I never knew such stuff exists. However, at $1140 a pair, I am happy to settle with a $26 pair of US-made resistors. When my boss gives me a raise in the future, I'll definitely consider them : )

Thanks,
Ryan
You can get them for less than half that price without the box (naked).

In any case, glad to hear you found a solution.
I use the naked auto transformers. They are great. With luck you may be able to get a used pair for less than $300.