Top resistors

Many threads with opinions on boutique coupling capacitors, but very little consolidated information on the sonics of resistors. Anyone care to share their thoughts on the attributes of their favorite brands & types for specific tube and SS applications? How much of a difference does a good resistor make?

My interest in the topic increased after recently installing the latest Texas Components nude Vishay TX2575 in several SS and tube phono & LS components. This was a proverbial "Ah-ha" moment-- a stray resistor dropped into signal path here or there, surprising with an improvement that equalled or surpassed the impact of a switch to a top coupling cap like V-Cap or Mundorf.
dgarretson
Salectric, Thanks for the detailed impressions, i did just come across your other posting on the path's.

I have only tried the duelunds, both cast and non cast. Your impressions do mirror mine, although no comparing with other resistors. Having swapped the standard resistors, the detail and clarity was an overwhelming improvement.

As the lightness in the midbass, i too feel the duelunds was slightly glossed over and oversmooth, while nice, loss some weight and heft.

The high's, your definition of wispyness. I would describe a Qsound kins of effect, allowing a wide stage and sound floating midway between the speaker and listener. Its forward tendencies means the sound are not at the speaker or behind it, lessening the impression of any depth. Its like a 3d fanfare between the speaker and listener, quite pleasing i might add.

Sadly, yes the slight brightness add to the dynamics of the whole frequency range, including the bass. It this an artificial artifact of dynamics, sometime i feel its can become slightly bright and piercing.

The duelunds for sure never sound dark, alway accentuating the clarity and detail.

I will try the paths for the mids.

I do like the clarity in the highs using the duelunds, do the paths neutrality make things less exciting or more distant, i.e say cymbal stay at the plane of the tweeter and not project further out like the duelunds giving a front row seats impression. Is it more midhall presentation for the paths? Something like the presentation of a mundorf supreme cap (neutral and more distant) vs the silver oil cap(more direct and upfront with added brightness of the silver)?

Still on the fence to try the paths on the tweeters. Just too much work!
To my ears, the neutrality of the PathAudio does not make it any less exciting than the Duelund CAST. When I listen with the PathAudio, words like "direct, clear, solid" come to mind. With the CAST, I am thinking "airy, bright, thin." Individual priorities come into play here, but for me the sound with the PathAudio resistors is more satisfying and less distracting than with the CAST.

I do appreciate the work involved in replacing parts when they are inside the speaker cabinet. I moved my crossover outboard for just that reason.
Great,

looks like i should just ditch the duelunds.

I have always had the problem as you described thin airy and bright (adds details).

I never got a tighter solid center vocal imaging, it always sounds larger than life with the cast resistors, goes with the airy wider soundstage.

i was just thinking of changing the resistor to the midrange as i felt is has a upper midrange brightness that was a bit painful on brighter recordings.

I do however, like the overall presentation so far, guess from you description, it is worth a try (just hope its not too much of a direction change to the sound). FWIW, i am using a cast cap for the tweeter as well.

It's just quite startling just 1 resistor can contribute to the sound.
SalectricOne more question.

did you use the same value.

I am getting some tinnitus form the highs currently s i did not mention as i like rock on a louder volume :)

I am asking as i feel that there may be seem to be a boost in the highs, could it be the bright and thinny highs.

I shall post my impressions, sadly they have a lead time as non stocked of a couple of weeks, darn!
I have PathAudio resistors in 2 spots which are 5 and 10 ohms. Right now I am still using Mills in the other two positions. I plan to get some more PathAudios to try there as well.

You may want to break in the resistors before you put them in your speakers. I hook up new parts to the speakers in my video system first so I can run them 24/7 for a week or so without messing up the sound of the hifi.