No Sellers willing to do COD anymore???

I first got into this hobby about 4 years ago (at least in terms of owning "high end" equipment).......one of the main ways I was able to do that was by buying almost everything used. My speakers (B&W M802's) I found used at a local audio dealer, & after that, bought most of the rest of my system from private sellers thru Audiogon, always doing COD, which seemed almost SOP at that time.

Now, most sellers INSIST on Cashier's Check upfront, end of discussion. And I admit, when I'm selling items long distance, it would be nice to be able to impose that, but the last time I tried that when listing something FS, no one was willing to do that. Am I missing something? Would anyone ship their expensive audio stuff to someone just relying on their word that they'd then send them the $$$?? It seems too one-sided now......even with all the potential pitfalls of COD; at least it's sort of equal for both parties. Thanks for any input!
steveaudio
I have bought and sold many items on this website mostly using Fedex 2 or 3 day c.o.d. I have never had a problem. It is certified funds only for Fedex and the money is overnighted back to the shipper the same day the gear is received. Not like UPS where you can wait a week to get the money back. Besides, UPS couldn't track a package from my house to next door. With Fedex you always know exactly where the item is.
I prefer FedEx COD. They get you the check within a few days after delivery. UPS and FedEx Ground take a few weeks—up to a month to get you the cashier's check or money order. USPS will not insure COD. I've only been burned once, when the buyer refused the package. It turns out that the same buyer played this game on a number of audiogoners, audiowebers and audiocomers as well. Now, if a buyer doesn't have any feedback, I ask for the check up front. If the buyer has excellent feedback, I'll go the COD route.
Post office and demand a money order only. Of course you take a risk of somebody not paying it and having the item re-shipped back to you. I haven't had that happen here, but sure have w/ my business.
Don't bother w/ ups--they'll take a check drawen with crayon and claim no responsibility. And those checks will bounce all over the place. The other problem w/ ups is that I've had them take 5 months to mail the cod's to me. Usually it's 2 or 3 weeks, but not always. They do offer a service--for a nice fee of course--where you can get the check information pronto. But it's still a check and once UPS delivers the product the rest of the risks are yours. The only thing ups does well is to bill you, everything else they screw up.
I have used COD in probably $10k worth of transactions both buying and selling over the last few years with no problem. I have asked for, and have had to pay in some ocassions, for two way shipping costs to ensure the buyer will show up for the stuff. I have also paid some up-front but have always managed to make it a credit card deal on the big ticket items so i get some protection. Usually a phone call or two is enough to tell if the other guy is a flake. The only way for both parties to feel totally safe is for cash, face to face deals.
I have decided not to pursue a purchase in the future unless the seller is willing to engage in a COD transaction for the reverse of the situation described by Dkuipers. I sent a certified bank check ($1,000) to the individual I believe he is describing, for an amplifier. Spoke to him beforehand. Obtained his e-mail address and a mailing address. Everything seemed okay. Bank check was cashed one week after it was sent. Then almost two months passed and I did not receive the amplifier. Sent several e-mails that were not responded to. Left phone messages that were not returned. I wrote it off as a lesson learned. Never to send a large sum of money for something that I have never seen, based solely upon the promise of an individual that I have never met, that they actually have the piece of equipment for sale that they claim to have. Talk about a "leap of faith". In the end, I was fortunate (perhaps "lucky"). I came home one day, opened my e-mail, and found a UPS tracking number and short note from the seller advising me that the amplifier had been shipped. It was well packed and in mint condition as advertised. After that experience, it is COD only for me on substantial purchases.