A "Unique" Voice...

A bunch of the artists I enjoy most have what may be considered as a very unconventional vocal quality. Now everyone is "unique' as are their fingerprints, to be shure, but the artists I'm thinking about are real standouts in that they are unmistakeably...well....odd perhaps. An aquired taste as their voice could easily grate on many. Maybe I should give some examples and that would be a better way to get what I mean accross:

Tom Waits comes first to mind. The little girl voice of Joanna Newsom. Those two I enjoy very much. One I just can't stand to listen to myself, Diamanda Gallas - Hey If I wanted to hear screaming like that I can just 'forget' to do the dishes a few nights in a row! Oh, yeah, Sean reminded me recently of the most bizarre, Klaus Nomi, whose mezzo soprano voice sounded more like a woman than a man. Actually Klaus was difficult to categorize himself. But actually, his voice was quite lovely as far as conventions go. So he wouldn't really qualify.

I guess what I'm saying is that these are not conventionally 'pretty' voices, yet they are engaging to many nonetheless, and certainly gifted artists, as far as those I've mentioned goes.

I'll leave it at that...any others come to mind?
jax2
Julie Miller, for sure. And at the other end of the spectrum, down in the gravel throated range witb Joe Cocker, how about Rev. Gary Davis and especially Blind Willie Johnson.
Patti Smith. On the painfully mellow side bordering on monotone, Iron & Wine and Elliot Smith.

Marco
Nina Simone, the best woman-man's voice, and Chet Baker (sans teeth). Definitely an acquired taste.
Tim Buckley [father of jeff], Mari Boine [ from lapland], Leon Thomas as he yodels his way through "the creator has a master plan" w/ pharoah.