Does an isolation transformer improve a power cable?

In a post dated 12/14, I described how I built my DIY AC power cables. In evaluating these new cables over the first 100 hours, I am hearing parts in music I did not know where there--instruments are standing out in sharp relief with a more robust dynamic and improved clarity. All of this is coming through via Furutech's Ohno Continuous Cast copper, a brand I am not here to promote--rather, it is the one I chose to obtain a legitimate OCC material. These cables are feeding two ARC Reference 210's, modifed to 250's. But, what appears to make as important a contribution is what is feeding the AC cables their current--a large 240V/120V isolation transformer weighing 120 pounds and supplying 4000 watts of work to all of my devices via six outlets on the back. What I am understanding is that this thing provides a more ideal supply of current that is independent of the rest of the house and its appliances and devices. With all that is said about power cables and what they can and cannot do, depending on one's beliefs about alternating current, i.e., what is upstream, how could it matter, what about the rest of the grid, the last six feet is important, etc, I suspect that, in using a true induction transformer in this manner, the last six feet is the only six feet in my power supply, and this is why these OCC cables sound so stunningly good. Is this the purest AC energy pathway possible?
128x128jafreeman
Jim, thanks for that clarification. I should have said that the ampacity I ran ends at my receptacle. Beyond that, the product supplies a 12 AWG cord and a 20 amp breaker. The cord is grounded to my receptacle and into the transformer. The company claims of protections from surges, elimination of ground loops--at least between gear in the system-- instantaneous power on demand have led me to believe this is an isolated power supply. At any rate, the results say just that--there is no noise, there is no loss of voltage, no clipping, a vastly improved soundscape--lots of "headroom". I have not altered the unit in any way--it is plug-and-play--just need the outlet. They are expensive-got mine for half cost here on 'Gon from an installer who had an extra--otherwise, would have tried Torus Power, also very costly, but well regarded.
I just wanted to report my findings using OCC copper in my DIY AC cables that are supplied by this clean power---outstanding!
mmmm, this thread is informative, jea48, please call me, if you recieved my #, I have done what you have specified, LOL!, everything in my house affects the sound of my sysytem, I have dedicated lines, I need dedicated breaker box with it's own ground for the system!, the ground is where this problem is, there is no other answer?
I wonder if anyone has converted 3 phase to a home use 120 line like this. I suppose that would even give better quality AC.

Just to be a bit of naysayer/ clarifier the transformer does not "create" electricity as I have stated before. It is just isolating you from the grid from "quick" spikes and drops, any long term spike or drop will effect the other side of the transformer.

The best way for clean AC is to have your own method of developing the AC signal from either using the grid power to DC and then back to AC or from off the grid sources as in solar and wind. The last two are becoming quite popular and should be able to create amazingly clean power (based on the inverter)
Just to be a bit of naysayer/ clarifier the transformer does not "create" electricity as I have stated before.
01-02-15: Scvan

Scvan,

Other than you, who has made such a statement?

~~~

Separately Derived System.

NEC 2011
Article 100
Definitions

Separately Derived System.

A premises wiring system whose power is derived from a source of electric energy or equipment other than a service. Such systems have no direct connection from circuit conductors of one system to circuit conductors of another system, other than connections through the earth, metal enclosures, metallic raceways, or equipment grounding conductors.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The revised definition in the 2011 NEC defines Separately Derived System as: A premises wiring system whose power is derived from a source of electric energy or equipment other than a service. Such systems have no direct connection from circuit conductors of one system to circuit conductors of another system, other than connections through the earth, metal enclosures, metallic raceways, or equipment grounding conductors.
http://www.jade1.com/jadecc/courses/UNIVERSAL/NEC05.php?imDif=10

http://www.jade1.com/jadecc/courses/UNIVERSAL/NEC05.php?imDif=10

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A separately derived system is a premises wiring system with no direct electrical connection to conductors originating from another system [Art. 100 definition and 250.20(D)]. All transformers, except autotransformers, are separately derived because the primary circuit conductors do not have any direct electrical connection to the secondary circuit conductors. Generators that supply a transfer switch that opens the grounded neutral conductor would be considered separately derived [250.20(D) FPN 1].
http://ecmweb.com/nec/grounding-and-bonding-separately-derived-ac-systems

An Isolation transformers is a Separately Derived System.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Separately Derived System. A premises wiring system whose power is derived from a source of electric energy or equipment other than a service. Such systems have no direct electrical connection, including a solidly connected grounded circuit conductor, to supply conductors originating in another system.

Some examples of separately derived systems would include:
•Transformers, shown in photo 1, where the supply side is isolated from the derived side except by magnetic coupling
•Generators (motor, wind, or engine driven), one example shown in photo 2 and figure 1, where it is either a totally stand-alone system or is an alternate source of power and the grounded conductor (neutral) is not solidly connected in the transfer switch or transfer equipment
•Battery/inverter systems where the output is not interconnected
•Photovoltaic systems where there is no interconnection to the grid or another energy source (off grid system)

Some examples of separately derived systems would include:
•Transformers, shown in photo 1, where the supply side is isolated from the derived side except by magnetic coupling
http://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/2009/11/16/separately-derived-systems/

http://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/2009/11/16/separately-derived-systems/

The main benefit offered by Isolation Transformers is
the input-to-output isolation, where the output circuit
can be re-grounded and isolated from input or other
ground noise sources. This isolation can also be useful
where Ground Potential Rise protection can not be
afforded by normal bonding procedures.
http://www.erico.com/public/library/fep/technotes/tncr016.pdf
Jea48,

You are smarter than that. You know the definition of created.

If the voltage on the supply side drops it drops on the other side of a transformer. It isolated electricity it doesn't create it.

One side of the transformer has an electromagnet on it that created a field that oscillates at 60 hz. That field is transfered by the core to another set of wires that the field is inducted to. If electricity was truly being created, it would violate the first law of thermodynamics.

Definition of a transformer:
A transformer is an electrical device that transfers energy between two or more circuits through electromagnetic induction.
Transfer, not creation...

Isolation transformers block transmission of the DC component in signals from one circuit to the other, but allow AC components in signals to pass
hmmm... so if I have an AC noise or change in AC voltage will the isolation transformer let it pass or will it always be a perfect sinewave?

And for those that are excited about the idea of a balanced isolation transformer, from the NEC:
647.3 General. Use of a separately derived 120-volt single-phase 3-wire system with 60 volts on each of two ungrounded conductors to a grounded neutral conductor shall be permitted for the purpose of reducing objectionable noise in sensitive electronic equipment locations provided that the following conditions apply.

(1) The system is installed only in commercial or industrial occupancies.