Shipping: A lesson learned

I purchased a pair of Apogee Stages from a person who lives approx 150 miles from me. The speakers were shipped FedEx Express Saver (similar to UPS 3 day), at a cost of $115. I used this as I was once told by a Fedex employee, they were wrong, that Fedex ground doesn't have COD. Well, for some strange reason, Fedex Express Saver, although more expensive, takes longer than Fedex Ground. Ground would have taken 1 day, while Express Saver is "guaranteed" in 3 days or less. I was hoping that I would get the speakers today, but they didnt arrive

So for a short ride, it pays to pay less.
128x128justlisten
FEDEX and audiophile gear do not mix. I bought a pair of used tube monoblocks through Audiogon and had them shipped to me via FEDEX. The amps were in the original factory cartons with dense foam interior packaging. the boxes arrived and loked as if they had been though hell. The metal cage on both amps were bent from the boxes having been dropped. I filed a claim with FEDEX. They took thrre weeks to send someone to examine the damage. They tnen declared that they could not be responsible for the damage becasue the packaging was not new. They also said that FEDEX shipments had to be able to sustain a 36 inch drop as this was standard in the conveyor belt delivery system despite the fact that the packages were clearly maked fragile. It cost me several hundred dollars to fixed the damage they caused. FEDEX was arrogant and rude in denying any responsibility for the damage they caused.
Making the trip can yield extra benefits. I live in a remote area of Wyoming, where there are only a few audiophiles (one fantastic hi-fi shop though). I drove 500 miles roundtrip for my Mirage MRM-1's and met another junkie in the process. I demo'd his rig and we have become friends since. He turned me on to other used deals from guys in his audio club. Now I'm getting a killer analog setup at entry-level prices. It pays to drive.
How about this one? The other day I sent something to a guy UPS-COD for $418 several hundred miles away. UPS delivered the package but forgot about the COD. Customer service was clueless about what to do next. I had to call several times to get any action on this. Fortunately, the guy was honest enough to overnight me a moneyorder so problem solved but I will never go UPS-COD again.