Explain Digital Basics to an Analog person

I don't understand the pieces of a Digital system. However, I would like to build one. What components do I need?

Goals
Record hi-resolution digital from LPs.
Play CDs (Redbook, SACDs)
Play hi-resolution digital files from a computer through my stereo.
redglobe
Goals
Record hi-resolution digital from LPs.
Play CDs (Redbook, SACDs)
Play hi-resolution digital files from a computer through my stereo

Buy the new Tascam DA-3000. Record your vinyl in DSD (DSF) format, then transfer the files to a computer. Find a good DAC that can accept DSD from the computer, and you are done. :-)

Best wishes,
Alex Peychev
APL Hi-Fi
Alex - what software would you use on the DSD files to take out the pops and clinks and to add the tags? Windows OS please. Thanks.
After some research, I am unable to come up with any software that does pop and click removal on DSD files. If I missed something, please let me know. That is a show stopper for me in converting to DSD. Did I miss software that is out there?
That is a show stopper for me in converting to DSD. Did I miss software that is out there?

The only solution will be converting DSD to PCM (352.8kHz), take out the pops and clicks and convert back to DSD. But, IMO, any processing will alter the sound quality, so it is much better to clean your LPs and just record them to DSD. With little pops and clicks it will be exactly the same as you were listening to the vinyl. :-)

Best,
Alex Peychev
Alex - do you know any Windows software that does pop and click removal at 352.8 KHz? Anybody know if Audacity handles 352.8 KHz?

Pyramix has an interesting solution, if I understand it correctly. They only convert the section of the DSD file that you want to edit to PCM and then converts only the edited part back to DSD. The rest is never touched. But I think that is professional solution and I am not sure it does pops and clicks. But it is an interesting approach.