New Esoteric P02 D02

Hello,

Seems like there is a new set up separates from Esoteric. The P02 D02. Hven't seen any info out there at all, but it is for sale already at retailers. Not a substitute of the P03 D03 as expected, that are still selling as well, but a new category in between de 01s and 03s. DACs and inputs seem like an upgrade of the K01.

Anyone has any info, or heard of this? You can read about it at Esoteric parent company home page (in Japan but in English).

Price in Europe is 3.000 Euros higher than the 03s per unit (so +6000 EUros higher in total)

Any feedback, info news?

Thanks
Eli
eelii08
Thx for reply Eellii.
Another question - Do the 02s bring out the sound of the wood in string intruments or the leather or papery sound quality of the drums(I think this is the quality described as richness of tone colors in expert reviews)?
They are very resolving indeed. Lots of detail and textures. But I guess that also has a lot to do with the rest of the system.

For the 02s, they are the most detailed I have heard. But also very musical. Compared with the 03s, they have managed to increase resolution while keeping the nice musicality.

Specific to your question, yes, the strings sound fantastic, and you can actually hear all the intrinsic sounds to the diferent instruments in a way I have notmheard in other systems.

Now the drums I could not assure you if you can tell the diference in quality of paper or leather... I am not that familiar with drums, and maybe that is too much of a claim by whoever makes it, but not sure., since do not listen to that much music with drums. Although the other day did listen to a jazz trio and drums were fantastic.
At last I completed my comparison.

My comparison was made by using p01vu transport and G0rb atomic clock. Most listening was done with either filter off or short delay 1, no upsampling but in some rare cases with dsd upsampling. I used cds and sacds covering classical, rock, jazz and pop favorites. Cables were from Esoteric. Amps used were Pass(x600 and pre), McIntosh (400 & pre), and Krell. Speakers were Focal 907be.

I agree with Eelii on resolving power of D02. It is more detailed than d03 and any other dac I heard. It projects a very precise holographic 3d sound stage.

But I disagree on musicality. D03 simply sounds more cohesive and musical to my ears. It can even be considered very slightly euphonic. Vocals were more "human" with D03.

Note that I am using p01 vu as transport with atomic clock.

D02 is more revealing and sometimes has tendency to sound very slightly detached or a bit thin. It works better with a neutral or warmer system rather than a lean one.
On the other hand some may find D03 a bit warm in another system.

Their sonic signature is close, yet they still sound
different.
It all comes down to personal taste in my opinion.
I can say that if you are going to use the usb and mostly well recorded cds and if it matches your systems sonic signature D02 is the winner.

When compared with older top of the line d01, it was more refined and smoother. Low level details were better on D02. On the other hand D01 had this powerful presence and texture of the instruments were sometimes better on the d01.

With sacd only comparison D03 was the best sounding with more analog like ease.
More with d02 and d03...

Instruments have more body with d03. On the other hand D02 sounds clearer with extremely low background noise. When it comes to bass D03 has more impact, but D02 lacking slight thickness and warmth of D03 has faster bass and slightly better timing. As for the treble D02 is the clear winner with more extended yet silky smooth highs.

If you dont dissect and over analyze their performance, and
evaluate it as a whole, then I would say d03 in most cases is more musical with more analog like sound. (probably due to the slight warmth in mid bass and better bass impact resulting with more body)