Shipping prices and buyers...

HAve people noticed a reluctance on the part of buyers to pay ACTUAL packaging and shipping prices after they have made a purchase? USPS is actually economical betwee NA countries, but people who demand undamaged goods, and quick delivery must know that we as hobbists want to assure that the buyer gets honest goods, and, the audiophile does not set the prices of shipping, Or double boxing, which some buyers insist on...
Comments....
Ag insider logo xs@2xivanj
I recently sold an item to a gentleman and the transaction was less than satisfactory. The item was "as new" with no functional or cosmetic faults at all. The item was listed at $425 and the buyer offered $350; he would cover Paypal fees but I had to pick up shipping. Although I had the original packing material and box, I strongly suggested the buyer pay an additional $15 for extra packing (bubble wrap the original box) and then double boxing at Mailboxes Etc. The buyer refused to pay for the additional packing/box, asking to ship as is. The buyer also insisted I pay shipping so I agreed but stipulated I would use the most cost effective way to get the item to him. I shipped it by postal ground insured. The buyer sent several emails complianing about the time it took for the box to get to him. The item arrives and the buyer agrees the unit looks pristine (apparently the box has taken quite a beating) but doesn't function properly. The buyer wants his money back because "the unit does not perform as advertised". It left me in perfect condition, clearly something got jarred loose in shipping and could be repaired. I suggested the buyer get a repair estimate locally and I would file an insurance claim to pay for the repair. The buyer does not want to invest some time for repair and insists on shipping the item back to me. Having made a price concession and picking up the shipping costs I didn't think it was reasonable for me to pay for double-boxing or expedited delivery. This could have been avoided if the buyer had spent a few extra bucks for extra packaging and be willing to pay for shipping. From now on I will make sure the double boxing is not optional, or only sell locally.
Jeff, I can totally relate. That's why these days I'm less willing to bend on price, but double box at my expense. It gives me peace of mind knowing problems like you described are less likely.
Seller's beware- It's difficult finding parts/repairs for many items. Buyers purchase an item and use the parts for repair. There's a rash of false claims from buyers who swap parts out for their items and then claim the seller sent a faulty unit. Very difficult to prove. Good Luck to all sellers & buyers finding the trustworthy.
Jeff, Did you sell it through Audiogon? Did you file a formal dispute for arbitration on this site?

What I learned from that is to have the buyer agree to a statement that it arrives "as is" with no restitution/obligation from seller (only insurance claim)IF they do NOT agree to pay for adequate packaging and insurance.
What a pain in da keester! I guess we all look to buy from sellers that have feedback and transaction history. Maybe we should ask the same for buyers?
I hope that you get that worked out! What happened to resolve?
-aj
I have come to veiw shipping as this. I consider it my responsibility to get it there in one piece. If that means not bending on the price as much or to pay a little out of my own pocket for better packaging then I will. I will also not send something that isnt insured. We are only really talking pennies.

If it comes down to the buyer not wanting the product packed right to save a couple of dollars then I will not deal with him or I will pay for the extra shipping materials myself.

I have had many problems with ups and if it gets damaged the buyer is going to be upset no matter what they said. I feel that its a common headache thats easily avoided. Even if you have insurance. I dont want to put up with the fight over the claim. I just want a smooth transaction.