cable burn-in / system burn-in

So many of us just take what we hear as being the gospel truth about equipment. I know I do, a lot of the time, because there is just to much work and cost to prove it. I have to finally agree with the burn-in effect. After several years, and multiple equipment changes, I can say, with out a doubt, equipment and cable burn in makes a very large impact on the sound. I just started my system again after being down for a few months. It has taken about 40hrs of play time before it has started to sound good again. I have a cd that I always play to hear the effect, which I am very familiar with. So it is kind of scientific, and not just arbitrary. So there you have it...
johnhelenjake
You mean there you have it.......your system,your ears not to mention your mind.YMMV,Bob
audiodharma cable cooker is what i use to burn in my cables.i really cannot understand people who spend any money on cables,yet has never ever cook in their cables on the cooker .the difference is just too obvious.i reburn all my cables every 3-4 months.

as far as system burn in,i use gryphon the exorcist after every 5-6 listening sessions,and lately,, isotek burn in cd for new electronics
I think the only reason is that people lack knowledge as to what burn-in is. Nobody has yet been able to describe what this phenomenon is.

If anyone knows, let's hear it!

I believe that if this phenomenon were understood, it could be used as yet another design element in high end audio gear and this would allow us to achieve even higher levels of quality.

Louis Motek
I agree with Fafafion, though I use a Hagerman FryKleaner Pro. You'll simply never hear what your system can do unless you cook its cables with one of these things. Don't think you can accomplish the same thing by simply playing music -- especially phono ICs and tonearm wires that never experience a high level signal. When I bought it, I thought it was something of an extravagance, but it's been HEAVILY used by me and friends, all of whom have become disciples. Dave
Remind me never to buy cables from some of you guys. ;-)

I have yet to find a cable that has been cooked that I did not prefer the sound of the same cable uncooked. IME with cookers, the highs take a hit. But, to each his own.

My current thinking on cable break-in is that, much like caps, it is the dielectrics and insulators that respond over time. Cables that use teflon dielectrics take longer to settle, cables that use mostly air as a dielectric don't seem to change as much.