Unconnected Drain Wires ?

I have seen some power cables for sale here that have unconnected drain wires.

What is a drain wire?

Why do they disconnect drain wires on some cables, but not on others?

Does an unconnected drain wire present a hazzard?

Thank you.
mmarvin19
Disconnected drain wire is not a safety hazard but it is not a good idea as the now floating shield will act like an antenna. If you are using a shield design always connect the drain at the wall side only.
.............. but it is not a good idea as the now floating shield will act like an antenna.If you are using a shield design always connect the drain at the wall side only.
03-11-09: Cpk

Cpk, I use to think the same way.... But how do yo explain the two Shunyata power cables I spoke of in my above post?
Hi Jea48,

Since that is not my company I luckily don't have to explain it ;-), maybe they like the radio stations in Poulsbo, WA? I have heard before that that is how those lower end shunyatas are configured but I was unable to find that actually spec'd anywhere, maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Perhaps in certain system/situations an unconnected shield sounds better but you always run the risk of it acting like an antenna. In general connecting the drain to the wall will give you the best sound on a shielded cord in the vast majority of system.
In general connecting the drain to the wall will give you the best sound on a shielded cord in the vast majority of system.
Cpk

Cpk, thanks for your response.
As I said in an earlier post my understanding of connecting the shield to the source end of the power cable is to bleed off RFI to earth ground and stop the shield from acting like an antenna.

Then I ran across the Diamondback shielded power cable. I borrowed one from a dealer in my area and tried it on my CDP. Not a bad power cable for the price.

At any rate the drain wire is not connected at either end of the cable. And as far as I know no one has complained about RFI problems.

And here is some food for thought.... How about audio systems out there with shielded power cables that have a ground cheater/s connected to them because of a ground loop hum problem? Or systems connected to an old two wire house electrical branch circuit without an equipment safety ground.
Though in the case where an equipment safety ground is not being used there would still be a conductivity path back through the equipment grounding conductor of the power cord to the equipment chassis signal ground,... but not earth ground. Wow, LOL.... What is your opinion on that one...
Jim
Hi Jim,

What I make of it is everyone’s system and situation is different. If the weren't it would be much easier to design a line of cables that work well in all cases. For example Mr. Hansen of Ayre fame IIRC runs with all the grounds lifted on all his gear, if you search Asylum there are a number of his posts concerning this. He says sonically it is superior. I run with all my frontend floating and my amps grounded but then again none of the cables that I make are shielded and I have no problem with noise or hum.

What I heard when listened to a cord with a floating shield was a reduction of air in the soundstage, in a system that these level of cords may be used in that might translate into a reduction of some HF nasties