Cable tv splitters

I have recently discovered that I have probably been using the wrong cable tv splitter for the last year or so. I kept getting a temporary scrambled signal and sound to my hdtv. I replaced my cable tv splitter today with a new one. Now the scrambling seems near gone. Can anyone give me any insight to a splitter? I have my cable line coming from outside to my listenig room where I split the signal to my cable hdtv box and to my computer modem. I read that my signal is cut in half with a splitter. Is it true I could be getting better tv reception without the splitter? What is a amplfied splitter all about? Would this be better for me to use?
tlg
Hi, I am a cable technician. Anytime you split the signal with a 2way splitter you lose 3db. Also the signal is not scrambling. The reason your picture was pixelating is from a weak signal from your coax. If your old splitter was not rated at 5-1000 mhz or more that can affect signal quality. So if you have more splitters than you need remove them. If you need all the cable lines you have then you need an amplifier. If you want to do this yourself make sure the amplifier you buy is rated 5-1000 mhz or more. Also you need to install it before any splitters. It does no good to amplify the signal when it is already weak at the end of the chain. This also has the benefit of boosting the whole system instead of just one jack. I would just have the cable company install the amp for you because they only charge you $50 to do so and you own the amp afterward. Considering the amp will cost you $50 to buy yourself you can't beat it. Also if you have 4 or less outlets and need an amp Comcast will install it for free. I'm not sure what cable company you have but just ask them what their policy is.

Good luck
Sean
Having an amplifier installed only applies if you are in a house. If in an apartment it gets more complicated. Also if you don't own the house you will need written premission from the owner to have an amp installed as it requires drilling holes in the house. Sometimes it will be better to have the outlet rewired because the wire may be old RG-59. A tech can find out what is best for your system by useing a signal meter to test signal strength at different points in your system.

Hope this helps.
Sean
Another thing to consider is if you install the amp yourself it is possible to have to high of a signal for the internet modem. This is why doing some of this stuff yourself without the right tools and knowledge can be problemattic.