Average age of audiophiles

Hi everyone,
I'm curious about the average age of audiophiles. One of the owner of an audio store told me that he has a lot of customers in their mid 20s that buy really high end gear. Personnally, I would think the average age is above 40. I really can't confirm since I'm the I don't know anyody else crazy enough (or passionnate) to get a sound system as expensive as a car...

Also, how old were you when you started this hobby.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm 26 years old. I got interested in this hobby when I was around 17...

Thanks everyone...
lgregoir
I am retired and was hooked in 1965 upon hearing a Fisher receiver over speakers on the market at the time, probably AR or KLH. Those were the days of low to mid-fi, but it was still a startling difference from other choices. My progression started a few years later with a Sony 6065 receiver (I always wondered why I would get tired of having it turned on :)) and AR 5 speakers; not bad for the time. Though I can now afford a variety of choices, some of them and the price/value calculations seem irrational to me - but I certainly understand "giving them a try>." To answer your question directly, I am past age 65.
"As far as I am concerned, I'm 26..." Monsieur Gregoir, I love it!
Likewise, as far as I'm concerned, I'm 18. But most people say I look pretty close to my 49 1/2 years....
I got bitten by the audio bug after a few preteen years as a SWL. Started fixing old 5-tubers...installing tone controls, then built a coaxial speaker out of Jensen and Utah drivers mounted in 90 lb 3 ft clay sewer pipe sections covered with water-buffalo Naugahyde slip-covers.
A coincident stint as a roving church organist coexisted with my covering the Bands' tunes on my parlor Hammond.
Regained interest in the 70s when I bought a truckload of Kirksaeter gear. Then a LONG hiatus until I revisited speaker design in the mid-90s, followed by the inevitable pull of the high-end in the past few years.
Now my musiclife is shared among the Steinway B and Parsifal Encores that grace my livingroom, and FM in the various Subies during their massaging. Tsokay!
young pup here..only 28. been in on the hobby @ 3yrs now, all started when i wanted to start making CD to CD copies w/ a stand alone (non PC) based cd burner...upgraded my cdplayer to one that had a digital output, which sounded better than my old cd player...hmm, all cdplayers don't sound alike???

what REALLY did me in was hearing watt puppy 6s w/ some AR tube gear up front...not good by my standards these days, but i'll never forget that feeling.

rhyno
When I was around 15 years old and had worked during the summer, I bought my first stereo system. Gerard turntable, ADS Speakers, and a receiver (can't remember the make, but I'm sure I'll wake-up around 3AM thinking about it). I still have the speakers (my wife, for the life of her, can't understand why I won't get rid of them). I began acquiring audiophile gear around three years ago. I was diagnosed with a life-threatening disease and put on heavy medication for a year. The medication made me very sick for the entire year. I didn't feel like doing much of anything. But music has always been my salvation. So I began with the jouney into Home Theater. Music didn't sound right coming from all directions and I wasn't all that impressed with sound effects of guns and explosions all around me either. Back to stereo. The rest is history. Numerous preamps, amps, cables and cords (up the wazoo), NHT's to Dynaudios.

I turned 50 (the "F" word) this past September.

Life is good!

Happy listening,
Ross
Started at 16,got a JVC reciever and Olson speakers and aTechnics TT.Only spent 30.00 for the speakers,at that time I was living at Moms and making 50.00 a week P/T and going to high school. now I,m 43,and I had a MAC 4100 reciever for over 15 years,till I ended up going to seperates. started doing that over 14 years ago,gave up drinking and as a result I have loot to buy and trade like mad.Right now I have three setups,one H.T.,one MacIntosh setup and my main 2 channel system,see is being an audiofile insane.. cheers.