Directional interconnect cables

I see several big-name interconnect vendors mark directional arrows on the outer jacket of the cables.

How is it that a wire can be directional? It's a simple electrical conductor, how is it possible for it to be directional, to sound "better" when connected in one direction vs. the other? This does not make sense to me, perhaps someone here can explain how this can possibly be so...
lupinthe3rd
Oh my God - Are you ALL guys SCIENTISTS???
One vodka on ice for me, pleeeeease (always helps in scientific discussions).
On the second thought - make it double.

Carl109 - There is a huge sound difference between ICs and speaker cables.
I tried once speaker cable between pre-amp and power-amp and it sounded non-interesting. No highs, poor definition and a lot of static.
This thread is priceless, lol. Another round on me... but looks like some here are already wasted.

So what do you do when there are no pretty little arrows? Are those cables "directionless"? ;)
Macallan or Lagavulin for me, but I am fussy about which ones - though I am sure its all in my head and a blind man woldn't be able to tell the difference.
Sorry Redkiwi, I was not "attacking" you. You made a statement that I didn't agree with and I said so. It was not at all personal.
My definition of proof is "to provide evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true."

Kijanki, if you re-read my post you'll see I agree with you; I DO hear differences in IC's and speaker cables. My point though was that these differences may be immeasureable scientifically or even specific to my hearing.
Carl109 - I know, it was just a joke. It might be easy to observe that something likely "IS" but much more difficult to prove that something "ISN'T". We just don't know enough. Electromagnetic wave cannot be explained by stack of ping-pong balls or something like that, because there is a space between electrons about 100000x their size. How charge is transfered if they move very slow?. One theory is that electrons emit photons but it does not work either. We learn just few years ago how aspirine works (in usage since 1800s). Once we thing we know everything new discovery come like recent 4-th missing element "Memsistor". I would not involve science in Audio.
When I see great spects like THD=0.0001% I expect poor sound - something has to give. I don't even look at specifications.