Another speaker wire possibility at Home Depot???

As an alternative to the "decorative" orange and gray stripe 12 guage wire that has been discussed in several previous threads, I am wondering whether anyone has used another 12 guage wire from Home Depot under the brand name Carol Landscape Lighting Cable. It is low voltage for use with 12-volt outdoor lighting systems, black casing with one conductor ribbed for polarity identification and much more flexible than the orange/gray extension cord wire. I intend to give it a try and will report back to this thread at a later date. Meantime, would welcome any comments and/or any experiences others may have encountered with this cable.
wepratt
"12 ga. is 12 ga"

I disagree. Connect 12 gauge Monster Cable- the original stuff that looks like thick lamp cord between your speakers and amplifier. Now listen to your system and compare the sound to cable that does not look like 12 gauge lamp cord, say a 16/2 or a 16/4. Most people (I know) hear a significant difference.

LM
Leica_man

YOU ARE CORRECT... # 12AWG is not #16/2 AWG.

YOU DON'T SAY. Wire is wire, huh? I guess water is water too. Likely cars is cars. Hmmm

It's not really, but to each their own... if you don't hear a diff, don't pay the diff. I think that's the golden rule in this hobby, overall.

In fact the above descriptions on the characteristics and preposed fundtionality of the THHN wire are proper. For it's intended use, supplying electrical power in homes and business, it's most practical and worthwhile.

That wire isn't made of OFC, it's NOT four 9's purity, it's NOT surrounded by a top end dialectric... BUT it's cheaper.

... and there's the catch. For some of us. e.g., above 'can't hear it don't pay it'.

Personally, I'll never use Monster 12 or ?? speaker wire, or it's upscale overpriced non performing speaker cables again. Ever. I'm sure some will however have fine results with them.

I believe it comes down to what level of performance one seeks in what level of equipment or application. In truth, it probably comes down to two things: What's in the wallet, and one's ego or belief system.

As an electrician and prior to that, an electroincs tech in the military, wire was always just wire. Just worry about the amount of current being drawn. that's it.

I've found out wire ain't just wire now. Not when it comes to audio & video componets interfacing one to the other (s).

...but I had to have it proven to me too.

Just my twenty two cents worth.
I pulled the following link from a previous Agon thread on this very subject: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#introduction

It seems resistance is the most important factor of any speaker cable. I had a pair of 12AWG DIY cables with the transparent-type insulation that had clearly corroded in many places. I then moved to the Wireworld Solstice cable with very noticeable improvements in sound quality since the corroded wire added unwanted resistance.

I'm not a supporter of the ridiculously expensive cables but cheap cables are NOT an alternative.