What can I do to improve my computer?

I am currently running a Dell computer with windows 7 to my PS Audio PW DAC II via cat7 cable.....using the bridge. I am waiting to either get the new PS Audio Silent Server (when it comes out) or a MAC Mini to use as my source. Until that time, can you guys recommend some things that I can do to improve the sound from my computer? Are there programs that will help? Any settings I can change?

The computer is just a laptop that is used vary rarely by my wife when she needs it (maybe once a month). I would like to get the best sound out of it that I can while I wait for the other options mentioned above.

Thanks
Jeff
jeffatus
I run a Mac so my comments might be off the mark but generally maximum your RAM and minimizes services on the laptop you don't need. For instance on my Mac Mini I disable Spotlight and energy savings such as screen saver.

Are you using iTunes as your player and file manager? If so you might consider a third party playback software used with iTunes ( on the Mac side there are several like Pure Music and Amarra.
If you are using with bridge with networking, then there is little that you can do to the computer that will make any difference. You would have to mod the PWD to improve the power or clocking to make any improvement.

One thing that will improve things is to use the best CD ripping software to the best format, and that is dbpoweramp to .wav files. Enable Accurate-Rip.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Go to your start up menu and turn off all programs on startup that are not necessary, so only your server program will be running.. ie foobar jriver, turn off you anti virus program.
go into your windows player settings and set it for your computer to take over control (bipass windows music player)
How ever you output to the dac, do not plug in any of the same type device while using your server... ie USB, or toslink or other spdif....
If you do all these things, you will hear it.
Timlub, as Audioengr said you cannot really improve it other than improving clock (reducing jitter) on the other side of the bridge. You can run all the programs you want in parallel and it won't make a bit of a difference, since it affects only timing and timing is removed by networking. If cat7 cable makes a difference it is only by quality of shielding that is reducing ambient electrical noise.

Music is sent in packets as data without any timing. Timing is recreated on the other side of the bridge where good, low jitter clock and clean power are a must.