a great take on big$ cables

i was talkin to a friend about cables & wire's & no matter how hard i try to tell him its not needed he wont budge because he has heard that big buck wires are the way to go,i even showed him this web page & after reading it his response was this "if they didnt work then why would they sell them" after talking for hours i gave up & gave him a demo,he heard no difference & neither did i but he still believe's.

there isnt alot of info published on wires except by manufacturer's so i thought i'd post this so every body could enjoy it.

this is a link to roger russell's web site where he gives his thought's on wire's & cable's & reports on blind testing that was done,if your not familuar with him he was a audio engineer for many years & from some of the gear i own that he designed i'd say a damm fine engineer too.

if you are of the belief that big buck cable's are not worth using you may get a chuckle but if your a firm believer then you might be bummed out,anyway's here's the link if you care to read about wire's.

{http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm}
128x128bigjoe
Where to begin, Serus? Just because you don't know the science doesn't mean the science doesn't exist. The study of human hearing is over 150 years old. Audio is not some brand new, revolutionary theory that requires confirmatory tests no one's imagined yet. Audio is old hat, much of it borrowed from other fields. And the way human hearing works doesn't change based on the faceplate of the gear you're listening to.

One thing that science definitely does know is that "what your ears tell you" can be wrong. If you can't accept that, then there is no reasoning with you. Believe what you want to believe.
The study of human hearing is over 150 years old
Well then, inside the scope of human--and planetary--history, this gnat's fart of a research period ought to be enough cause to question our young-punk conclusions. We are mere infants when it comes to understanding our own functioning. So enjoy the music, or not.
Someone should make a little $100 box that implements a tunable band-pass filter to put in the interconnect lines. I bet that you could make such a box with some knobs that would let you make your interconnect sound like "silver" or "copper" or "quantum equalized equipotential polarized dialectric" cables. Zip cord plus a box like this would be as good as any $15000 cable.
That's the Carver "theory" applied to cables... And it is not true. A "box" with passive or active components does not behave the same as a transmission line in regard to RF handling or even in regard to the full audio spectrum. You are making a big simplification of what should be analyzed by Maxwell equations and perhaps simplified to distributed network. The "box" theory says that it all can be simplified into an "ideal" transmission line plus ideal basic components. That's known in engineering as the first-order approximation. It's good for predicting basic directions, not for details.
BTW, you can simplify the concept even further by putting an equalizer in the chain. If all these transfer functions are linear then you can "bundle" them together!
Some online magazine measured and published Nordost Valhalla capacitance curve. No passive components that I can think about can do that...
Equalizers do some good in some systems but they are not "sonically-free", whether active or passive. If you bother to reach the highest levels of audio reproduction then you will take the extreme pain to match the most basic components and avoid additions to the signal chain.

On the other hand, I plan to audition Transparent cables on the advice of a friend. Through their extensive R&D, they may have found ways to make my system better, and that's worth listening to.
Ah, and then your emotions take over... It won't make a difference, but heck let's have a listen... :-)
Be strong and resist the urge, Mate... :-)
Or, listen and think whether this set of cables seems to do a better job conveying the music compared to what you have. I'm not saying the particular one does or doesn't, but only listening in your own system can tell you the whole story.
Of course if you know the "formula" of this cable or the circuit for that amplifier - you can build them yourself. The question is how much is it worth to you... To some people an interconnect is worth $50 max and even when they hear a better set they won't spend the money. To other people money is no object. Most of us fall somewhere in between... See - we were just reduced to an "average"... :-)
But somtimes, just sometimes, the emotions take over. Like my friend that needed to rebuild his garage and one day I go to visit and he has a $40K dCS digital front-end - and no garage... The mysteries of the mind... :-(
Pabelson:
Just because you don't know the science doesn't mean the science doesn't exist
Then we finally agree! You and I don't know why it sounds different. That doesn't mean it sounds the same, only that we haven't reached that level of analysis or technology. I couldn't agree more!!!
science and engineering is still a little behind when it comes to measurement...

any cable or piece of gear will pass signal... the question is it letting the "emotion" of the performance through (pretty "delicate" signal that cant be measured by NO INSTRUMENT !!!!!. when you find one, please let me know..)

some people are tone deaf and in some audiophile circles some are tone/emotional deaf..(to find out, go buy a couple favorite albums and go listen to it on a Linn turntable in a really nice high end system... if you are not touched by what you hear(assuming the system is correctly set up... then you might be "emtionally tone deaf"..

a lot depends on what a listener is "listening for"..... julian hirsch (aka stero review -a otl futterman amp sounds like a pioneer reciever) was case in point...