Need advice for power cord on PS Audio UPC 200

Hey everybody! I would appreciate some experience here as I am getting a PS Audio UPC 200.. and would like very much to gain some insights as to other's experiences with passive conds. and the power cords they have found make the best fit.

I don't think I want to get into a ton of dough here... maybe $300 or $400 tops, new or used.... and likely less. VooDoo and Flavor are on the list currently, in that order.

I do plan to use it on strickly the BAT VK500, but am not sure it will be 'dedicated' to that end. 90%, though. (Depends on performance gain... and may wind up on digital components, but the goal now is the amp).

Any notions, ideas, and certainly experience (s) with passive conditioners and of course this UPC 200 (brand new), would be more than appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
blindjim
johnnyp

have a look at the JPS digital aC, or perhaps look at the Voodoo black dragon... if you can find one used it shouldn't be much more than aobut $300 or so for the BD, and less for the JPS. The VooDoo BD is either a nine or ten gauge set of conductors, (it's probably near two inches in diameter), is full bandwidth, provides great bass, fine extension, drives my 250 wpc dual monoblock amp with no sweat, has a warm hand, is quite musical, and large SS. I didn't care too much for the JPS, musically speaking, but it was black... but then, you may like it. RWV.

Also, if you got the UPC 200 new, or have it in the Dual setting, try setting it to High curent. IN HC you'll get more blackness. Unless you have a very noisey componet plugged in, you'll be fine. Just use a different pair of outlets than the pre or amp are on. Lastly, the UPC 200 takes some time to get to optimum performance levels. Leave it on. With limited or heavy use it'll take a few days to be at it's peak. less in Dual mode, but still a couple days. All by itself, with the OEM supplied cord, mine does a fine job on the background just that way. Aftermarket supply cords will help improve more than just by darkening the background. Though I would concentrate on their harmonic and presentation aspects a bit more so, as both the characteristics of the UPC & it's supply wire will be introduced into the coupled componnets. Blackness is only one aspect. Other cables, like IC's, and speaker wires and isolation will aid you in that effort as you try other types, and/or replace them along the way. Provide yourself a good base now, and you won't have to go back and redo the whole mixture.

Dead silent for $200 is I think a tall order however. I'm trying an x2 active Synergistic Master AC right now, along with a Elrod Sig II. I replaced the VooDoo Black D, with them both, the Elrod is darker by some, though not much. It is indeed far more the musically intriguing one. The Master aC is nearly as black. Both cost more than the Black Dragon. Of course the story doesn't end there. Other attributes come into play as well with those two cords. Every cord for that matter has some fingerprint it will put on the system.

just by changing the placement of the UPC will change sonic characteristics. Play with what it rests upon. Put it on something other than the carpet for sure. A 12 inch piece of black ceramic floor tile is something I got initially for mine. then I got some sink stoppers. Cut off the little rings on top, and set them underneath the UPC. See what works for you in that regard. Everything makes a diff. You decide the good of it. If any, or just some.

Good luck.
Thanks for all the advice. Kind of suprised nobody mentioned any PS Audio powercords, not even the statement. If your wondering what I have look at my system. I'm quite happy right now but thought maybe the UPC-200 could give me an improvement.. What ya think... Thanks again JohnnyP.
Johnnyp You're welcome. given the $200 tag, if a PS Audio Statement can be had for that amount, get it. Regardless, the UPC 200 will do you far better than 'no' UPC200, whichever cord supplies it. the one that comes with it will work very well. I used it just that way for several months and was well pleased with the quieting, and warmth it gained my rig (s). see this review for moore details...

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?raccs&1156794951&openmine&zzBlindjim&4&5#Blindjim