Breaking in power cords

Can I break in my new power cord by connecting it to a lamp and then leaving it on fulltime? Various threads indicate hundreds of hours of break in time in the audio system, and I don't want to wait months and months for the benefits. Has anyone tried this method?
128x128suttlaw
Psychicanimal,
I don't think that there is anything in there worth running after, but thanks for the advice/encouragement.
Psychic, where don't you get your material? Whew, watch out Billy Crystal..A regular riot Alice...
Cello-

The problem w/reefers as a burn-in tool is, as you noted, they are primarily off (unless one believes the light stays on.) This is increasingly the case the newer they are, and more so if they are an EnergyStar model. It also depends on much the door is opened.
The upside is that you don't waste electricity.

The downside is, for my reefer, it takes a full 24 hours to run a dinky 500W through it; an average of 28W per hour. This is hardly a "burn-in". I can accomplish this in 20 minutes on the microwave oven; a 100W floor lamp for an evening; a couple of washer loads.

But really, after a day of this fiddling, I'm of the mind to use the power amp as the burner for a few days, quit being anal/obssesive, and listen to some tunes. A PC doesn't carry music; just a one-note drone tone...
I'm not sure about the energy ratings on my refrigerator, but it is a fairly recent model (about 3-4 years old) and is certainly not an energy hog. In my opinion, the benefit of power cord burn in on a fridge has nothing to do with the continuous draw and everything to do with the heavy surge when the compressor kicks in, even if it is rarely kicking in. My experience is that even supposedly fully broken in cords (ie. cords that have been in use on my integrated amp for 6 months to a year) showed noticeable improvement following a week on the fridge. The adapter necessary for this, by the way, can be bought at many electronics parts stores for about $3.

My amp is not a monster (about 70W per side), so your experience may vary if you have very high powered amps, but other than that, any other piece of equipment will never ultimately and fully burn in a cord the way a fridge or chest freezer does, including computer monitors/towers, large box fans, etc. Haven't used any larger heaters here though. That is my experience.