Power Cords Snake Oil ??

Having been a long time audiophile living with countless high end compnents I have to wonder about the theory and practicality of high end power cords.

I have yet to hear the difference a power cord makes. Ive owned, synergistic, Shunyata, BMI and cardas. I in no way can detect any sonic signature or change. Give me a pair of interconnects and I imeadiately notice a difference somewhere in the sonic spectrum. Not the PC though. I have accomplished 4 blind tests with my friends. 3 out of the 4 they did not know their cord was replaced. All 4 were using a stock factory supplied cord. Each of the 4 tests were done on different components. Amp, CDP, Preamp & dac.

My electrical backround tells me that provided you supply the component with its required voltage bet 110vac or 220/240vac its happy. Now, change the incoming frequency from 60hz to say 53hz and watch how quickly your soundstage collapses.! This is often the case during the summer months when home air conditioners are in use and the utility company power output is taxed to the max. A really good power conditioner should however take care of the frequency fluctuations. But 110vac is still 110vac regardless of the conductor it passes through as long as its remains 110vac when it reaches the intended circuit. Does your 8k amp or preamp know the difference of the path the voltage took to reach it ? Many an audiophile will use a dedicated 20amp circut for their equipment.That is a good idea as voltage & frequency fluctuations will occur in the home circuit to to other loads on the main breaker panel but again, A power cord simply is the means of transporting the voltage from the wall to the component. IF there is a clean 110vac @ 60hz at the wall socket, no matter what the medium is to go from the socket to the component, it will still be 110vac @60hz.

Could somebody expand on this a bit more. I just dont understand it. ??
128x128jetmek
I do try to keep an open mind. Truly, there are any number of phenomena on this Earth that science cannot explain, I just don't believe that basic electron theory is one of them. That said, I have 'auditioned', for lack of a better word, a number of cables of various uses and price points, to no avail. I heard nothing that would make me want to open my wallet.

I don't completely discount the possibility that cabling in the signal chain, or even an AC supply cable can make a sonic difference, whether for better or worse. The caveat is: there MUST be a measurable difference in electrical parameters to explain it, else we're searching for bigfoot or the loch ness monster(they might exist, there's just no proof.)

Otherwise, I stand by my (outspoken?) opinion. At least we agree on outrageous prices!
Loony, although I agree with your assessment that the power cord issue sometimes resembles the hysteria over UFOs or blood-weeping statues, many on these forums swear that they hear a difference. My experience has been that, in comparison to badly made stock cords, these boutique cords do make a small but significant difference on the sound I get from my components.

The instalation of dedicated lines made the biggest difference by far on the sound I am hearing. This was, for me, night and day. After auditioning power cords in the range of $59 to $1200 over the past 2 years, I have been unable to detect much difference except in comparison to the stock cords. A well made cord using good workmanship and solidly built wire can be found in the $100-$200 range (in some cases) even less. Better built connectors do add to the cost of making PCs and in some cases are worth it.

It's been my experience that every time I have purchased better built and designed gear than what I previously owned the sound did indeed improve. Also, like you mentioned, room treatments were a major step in the search for better sound.

There is no point of changing anyone's mind if they swear by the mega-bucks models. It's their money and God bless them. There are a handfull of manufacturers that will actually tell you in print what are the materials and techniques used in building their cables. The majority though, provide you with science fiction hyperbole adorned with adjectives usually reserved for cuisine books and celebrity-named perfume.

Hoping myself to reap the financial benefits of audio makebelieve, I have applied for a patent for a new PC to be named, “La Fata Morgana.” I am almost finished composing the advertizing copy and the wire will be provided by a Spanish company by the name of, “El depósito de casa.” I will use a scantily clad, redhaired nymphet to adorn the jacket and, at this time, plan on an “introductory” price of $12,000/per meter. It will be manufactured to interface with all electrical gear and also may be inflated (or blown) and taken to bed. (Buy more than one and fulfill all your fantasies.)
You guys just couldnt lead a sleeping dog lie could you?
Another can of worms is getting peeled open. :)
You're right, Loonytunz. If you can't hear the difference between different power cords, no one else can either. Anyone who says he can is delusional or terminally stupid. You are, after all, the ultimate authority on what each of us is capable of hearing. :-)

LT - You said: "please don't tell me your hearing is more acute than electronic test equipment!"

Umm...I've gotta tell you: Your hearing is more acute than electronic test equipment. (So is mine and everyone else's whose hearing is reasonably intact.) In certain, important ways, that is. Think about it a bit - you already know what I'm talking about.

Your post seems to imply that you have never heard any differences between any wires at any position in a system. Well, consider yourself lucky or cursed, but you are psychologically predisposed not to, and your experience can't disprove what might be true for others. (Oh, and there are measureable differences among cables. And unlike some other kinds of powerline tweaks, some pretty plausible theoretical points can be made for why aftermarket powercords could make a positive difference.)

But I won't argue with you on the price vs. value issue, except to say that it is not unique to the cable segment of the high end.