Power Cords Snake Oil ??

Having been a long time audiophile living with countless high end compnents I have to wonder about the theory and practicality of high end power cords.

I have yet to hear the difference a power cord makes. Ive owned, synergistic, Shunyata, BMI and cardas. I in no way can detect any sonic signature or change. Give me a pair of interconnects and I imeadiately notice a difference somewhere in the sonic spectrum. Not the PC though. I have accomplished 4 blind tests with my friends. 3 out of the 4 they did not know their cord was replaced. All 4 were using a stock factory supplied cord. Each of the 4 tests were done on different components. Amp, CDP, Preamp & dac.

My electrical backround tells me that provided you supply the component with its required voltage bet 110vac or 220/240vac its happy. Now, change the incoming frequency from 60hz to say 53hz and watch how quickly your soundstage collapses.! This is often the case during the summer months when home air conditioners are in use and the utility company power output is taxed to the max. A really good power conditioner should however take care of the frequency fluctuations. But 110vac is still 110vac regardless of the conductor it passes through as long as its remains 110vac when it reaches the intended circuit. Does your 8k amp or preamp know the difference of the path the voltage took to reach it ? Many an audiophile will use a dedicated 20amp circut for their equipment.That is a good idea as voltage & frequency fluctuations will occur in the home circuit to to other loads on the main breaker panel but again, A power cord simply is the means of transporting the voltage from the wall to the component. IF there is a clean 110vac @ 60hz at the wall socket, no matter what the medium is to go from the socket to the component, it will still be 110vac @60hz.

Could somebody expand on this a bit more. I just dont understand it. ??
128x128jetmek
If you don't think they matter, than don't buy one.

My Dad likes his Bose headphones. He thinks they are top of the line. I won't waste my time telling him otherwise.

He also thinks a Honda Accord EX is a technologically superior car over an Accord LX; when in fact all Accords are exactly the same; the EX just has more gadgets on it.
I can share my experience, but I can't verify anything with measurements.

I was a longtime subcriber to Stereophile till about ten years ago. I did not cancel because of the number of ultra-highend reviews, but because of all the discussion about powercords. I just could not buy into the theory that they could make such a big difference, and besides I was happy with my system.

About five or six years later I got a card from someone saying I could resubscribe for about $10.00 a year, and I thought, what the heck...

They were still talking about powercords!!! I decided to take a chance and see if there was anything to all this hype. I went down to the local audio emporium and snake oil dealer and bought one Transparent Audio powercord. It cost about $120 which I did not consider to be too outrageous.

I did not know what to expect in my system with the new cord so I didn't really have any expectations. From the time I plugged it into my amp I heard a very noticeable difference. The mid to low bass was much more pronounced and the soundstage seemed to come from a more quiet background. I was so surprised that the next time I got paid I ran back to the snake oil dealer and bought another powercord. I used this one on my pre-amp and heard more of the same thing as I did with the first cord.

Since then I have replaced all of my PCs with DIY versions of the old Chris VenHaus PCs with great satisfaction.

I certainly am not suggesting that anyone who did not experience the same thing as I, is wrong in their conclusion. I just want to point out that I was extremely skeptical about the virtues of aftermarket PCs, but based on experience have become a believer.
Eldartford:
You are correct the power cord does not change the 60 HZ frequency. However, the PC has its own resonance frequency and the conflict between the two creates a harmonic structure that is passed into the system producing distortion.
Post removed 
Sugarbrie, Whats the point of your comment. Im simply asking(wondering) what contribution the pc gives the system and inquiring as to what different peoples real world experiences are and possibly somebody with some measurements to share. I still remain firm(IMHO) that the pc does little if anything to improve. Im buying them cause they look cool.In the mean time I'll still be searching for a pc that may offer a sonic improvement.

There is still 30 or so feet of garbage before my equipment sees the power. The average hi end pc is nothing more than a well made conductor. Some are shielded to ground, but that ground these cords are shielded to is chock full of noise. Its the same ground that the 59 cent outlet socket uses. Now of course there are actively shielded cords. That configuration I'd be willing to try and would not be surprised if it made a difference.

I enjoy reading the different approaches and ideas.