Sakura Systems OTA Cable Kit

Has anyone tried this "minimalist" cable kit? After receiving a recommendation from someone with similar musical values to myself, and whose ears I trust, I could not resist ordering one. I will report on how they sound in a few weeks, but am interested in others' opinions too.

For those that have not heard about them look at www.sakurasystems.com for an interesting read. The cable sounds as if it is very close to the specification of the conductors in Belden Cat5. So I may have spent around 100 times what the kit is worth. We shall see.

If you have not heard this cable, please don't bother posting your opinions of how it MUST sound here. Nor am I that interested in hearing how stupid I must be to order this kit - it's my money and you are free to make different decisions with yours. Sorry for this condition, but I am bored with those that have nothing positive to offer on this site, and post their opinions based on deductive logic rather than actual experience.
redkiwi
Slawney
I will share the following msg, I recieved just today from Charles Beresford of Cryogenics Intl.. I have been trying to findout as much as possible about the effects of the cryo process might have on audio components especially cables.What really disturbs or perplexes me is the fact that no long range studies have been made of the ill effects this process might have or even the benefits of it except for testimonials.

Robert Crump is one that I trust who has one bad experience with what it did with a set of expensive speaker cables.After his experience I was concerned with what effects might taken place with the OTA.
====================================
My Questions:
Hello:
I read your post at AA and was wondering about a few things.

1.Do you know if there have been any detailed studies of what has not been done successfully in cryo for Audio and stuff that has a high failure rate?Trying to avoid the pitfalls of others.

2.Have there been treated and untrested test done for Measurements as well as listening test?

3.Do you take the Gauge of the wires into consideration and adjust for it when doing the process?

4.Have there been test done on Plated and Silver Cables?

5.What about doing the process twice on Cables,does that further enhance the effect or performance?

I know you have been in the Biz since the 80's and is there any performance test that have been done is what I am trying to find out.
Robert Crump had a set of expensive Cables that I think were plated that got ruined by having the process done.

I had some 47Labs Cables ,which are copper, croy'd by Ray Kimber's facility and they came back undamaged and they might have been cryo'd initially in Japan.They are approx.24ga. and I do not know if that is taken into consideration before being cryo'd.Should this be taken into consideration?

I am trying to also see if taking a inexpensive cable and having it cryo'd can bring it's performance up to ultra expensive cables. Has this been done in your experience?

I am at the moment corresponding with a knowledgable metallurgist discussing testing to find cable that can advanced using this technique.

What can you tell me, any help is appreciated!I know your time is valuable and I am not looking for long elaborate answers.Short answers would be helpful and I will take it from there.

We will consider sending the Cable to you when we narrow down our choices in the future seeing that your prices are reasonable and you have exstensive experience using the process.

Thanks!
---
His Reply

Thank you for your message. With regards to audio applications, there are not really any technical studies. It seems that no matter what is shown scientifically, in the audio world, listening is the only thing that matters. I have some research studies regarding materials, i.e. polymers, steels, etc. You could then apply those results to the same type materials in audio applications.

There is really no determining factor to let you know what may have a problem during processing. In general, our process does not cause failures in most any part. We process entire boards, cables, tubes, etc. I will list some guidelines below.

1. plastic that is under pressure or stress ( like a clamped down hard plastic case) could crack. This is because there is no tolerance for movement during the process.

2. Very old, dried out plastic may crack due to having no elasticity.

It is not the type of polymer, it is the condition that it is in, that may cause a crack. We generally do not see any problems with new cables or materials. Again, whole boards, capacitors, cables, plug strips, tubes, cds, etc. all processed every week with great results.

The gauge of the wire has nothing to due with our computerized process. The process is all about removing the BTUs or heat energy out of the products being treated.

We have not experienced any problems with plated and/or pure conductors of any type. We process solid silver wire and cables all the time. Silversmith Audio process all of their cables with very good results.

Some people say that two times in the process is great. I do not have any data to support this. I will process your items any way or as many times as you desire. The customer gets the process desired.

You should not have any fear of treating plated cables with us. We process plated cables, outlets, plugs, connectors all the time with only improvement.

I really have no idea what has been treated before I receive it and what hasn't. Processing your items more than once will not harm them. Since we do not charge a great deal for our process, if you are not sure, just have it processed.

Some people do say that you can take a less expensive cable, have it treated and it will make dramatic improvements. Our process will make good cables sound very transparent.

I have attached some information to this message. Please call or email me if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
--------------------
The info into what you have provided concerning you eval of the OTA is intresting. I will have some questions after I am avle to think about what you have written further,thanks!
Slawney just to add:
I went through Bolder Cables who sent it (OTA) to Ray Kimber facility in Utah when having my ART DAC modified in order to see what effects the treatment might have.

I used a set of untreated sets of OTA terminated with Eichmann plugs . I tried a few combo’s to see what the effects of cryo might have on playback. I also used sets of Belden Digital to test. These were listening test and I had no measurements done as I do not have any test equiptment available to me at the moment.

The best I can describe what I have found is in the word Presence. It finally came to me when comparing the Belden’s that on Classical guitar the plucks were more distinct using the cryo treated cables.

I still think that whatever or whoever you choose to do the treatment it is wise not to treat anything you do not want to take the risk of damaging. Weather it be Cables, Capacitors ,Transformers or a hairbrush.

I do not think I will have the Caps, Inductors or Resistors Cryo’d that will be used in the upgraded crossover parts for risk of damage. Kharma is said to use cryo’d components upon request for it series of speakers which is said to Lower the noise floor,but as always there is no info provided on how they established that claim.
Abex, thanks, your questions to Charles Beresford were excellent. Thanks for sharing his response.
Slawney
Where did you hear that the OTA was Cryo'd?

Have you measured what the Impedance is Per\Meter of the OTA?

And do you know what the exact Gauge of the OTA is as I do not have a wire Gauge?

TIA
Hi folks. Interesting discussion. I am thinking about buying a few meters of OTA cable. I use cheapo PVC CAT5 solid core cable now (two single cables, like the OTA cable). Does anyone know how big the difference is !? (in other words does it justify the $50-70 I have to spend on 8m of the OTA). Redkiwi, could you maybe explain the differences in more detail to me !?

Thanks in advance,

Fedde