Synergistic Research IC Active Shielding

Syn. Res. IC users that have the ICs with the "pigtails", ie set up for active shielding are probably aware of the $1000. box that provides the power for the active shields. Well, SR now has "wall wart" power supplies for a single pair of "pigtail" equipped ICs. I got two of these a couple days ago and like them a lot. SR has an introductory price of $50. apiece ($75. list). Mine came from A Sanctuary of Sound-- a good Audiogon Dealer.

I first plugged these wall warts (they have about 3 ft. leads) into a Monster HTS 1000 power strip, which was plugged into a dedicated outlet-- but forgot to turn the power strip on-- and listened for 3 hours. Duh! These first 3 hours, music sounded too bright, analytic and gave me a headache-- I think there may have been some kind of negative antenna affect going on? And I was wondering if the dealer would take them back?

But when I went to unplug them, I realized that the Mini's were not powered, and the shields not active. After ACTUALLY GIVING THEM POWER, music had a completely different and improved character, whehter compared to the non-powered Minis or compared to my system without them. I don't want to use a lot of Stereophile verbiage here, but I will say music was natural, some edge was gone from what I thought were overly bright CDs, but the most striking improvement was in soundstaging-- stronger and wider, while still sounding natural. The overall improvement was definitely worthwhile, but not dramatic. I sure recommend them. Cheers. Craig.
garfish
Sorlowski, I would suggest that you call Synergistic Research and ask your questions.

I would strongly suggest that you guys visit http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?fcabl&1171895489&openmine&Tbg&4&5&st0

Much of it will be of interest to you.
Mr Sorlowski: The power supply/voltage to the shield is completely isolated from the actual conductor of the IC. The characteristics of the signal conducted by the interconnect are the same whether the component(phono, pre or power amp) is operating at 240 or 120V. There's no way for there to be any interference/interaction, do to the difference in operational voltages.