Cable "burning": Real or VooDoo ???

While i have my opinions on this subject, i'd love to hear from others that have tried various methods of "burning in" cables, what was used to do it, what differences were noticed ( if any ), etc... Please be as specific as possible. If your a "naysayer" in this area, please feel free to join in BUT have an open mind and keep this thread on topic. Sean
>
sean
Like i said, don't knock them until YOU have tried them first hand. Until then, you're simply speaking out of ignorance with a complete lack of experience to support your statements. You have cited NO factual information in ANY of your "tirades" even though you have challenged every statement that some of us have made pertaining to this subject.

As to your "funny" comments and examples, water CAN be "softened" in a pool. Obviously, there are chemicals that can do this job rather rapidly. As you correctly stated in your "example", the other way is via mechanized circulation . This is true if the temperature of the water was such that it was partially frozen. Circulation would raise the overall temperature due to friction, causing the frozen water to "soften", become less "grainy" or
"hard" : )

As to wire and cables, there are differences in the grain or "crystal structure" of specific metals. This is well known and documented. While i can't speak first-hand of whether or not anything is altered in the "break in process" with these using scientific terminology or data, my ears tell me that there IS a difference. Maybe Jack Bybee can explain this to you in the terms that you'd like to see. After all, he is a physicist who has worked in-depth on the subject for the U.S. Government.

On top of that, there ARE chemical changes that take place when different metals are used in conjunction with each other (electrolysis). Who is to say that applying voltage to the junction points, connections, plating or to the cable itself is not "treating" it in some manner ???? After all, we have copper, silver, brass, gold, aluminum, rhodium, tin, lead, etc... making contact with each other in almost all of the wires that we use.

On top of this, a metalurgist WILL verify that temperatures and application of electricity DO alter metals. While this can be demonstrated on a very short term / extreme situation basis, WHO has documented what takes place over a very extended period of time given less extreme conditions ? Please site the specific studies that your referring to and how we can all access these findings.

Until you can provide the proof to deny the findings that THOUSANDS of people will testify to via first hand experience, your argument holds no more (if not LESS) water than the case presented by the "believers" here on this forum and many other like-minded sites around the world. Sean
>
Proof, Sean? You don't sound like a guy who's even interested in proof. Obviously, no one can prove that your professed experience with cable break-in is a figment of your imagination. For that matter, you cannot prove it isn't. (Actually, you could, but that would require the kind of test I'm sure you can find fault with.) But there is no known physical phenomenon that would explain this effect (despite your rather strained attempts to suggest such), while there is a known psychological phenomenon that explains it pretty well. And we are all free to use or not use that information as we wish.
Sean; where are the Mobie and Cable Cooker available from? Thanks. Garfish the Believer.
Stevemj read this!!!!!!!!
I am sick of your little attitude ,if u do not wish to add A opinion on audio subjects with out sarcasim I will help u.
I will notify Audiogon of your constant harrasment at their site to their enthusiasts and will ask them to remove you from being able to sign in as a user
Thanks for visiting with us Mr. MJ
I know that the Mobie is available from Music Direct here in Chicago. The phone number is 800 - 449 - 8333 and their website is listed below so that it's easy to cut and paste. Talk to Bes if you need info on it as they don't have much on their website or email me directly / post questions here. For the record, the Mobie runs about $225 - $250 brand new and accepts RCA's, BNC's and XLR's.

The Cable Cooker is being sold by Alan Kafton of Audio Excellence in Arizona. He is the owner of a product line called "Audiodharma", the parent company for the Cable Cooker. It has not been in production real long and i think that it sells for over $600.

As to Jostler's comments, i make my living by repairing / modifying / measuring electronic communications equipment. I have seen equipment that measures poorer in EVERY electrical aspect beat the pants off of another piece of gear that would be a technicians "bench darling". In other words, the unit that measures better in terms of power output ( both rms and peak ), looks cleaner on the scope and spectrum analyzer, etc... gets its' ass beat under real world operating conditions by something that looks like a piece of junk in comparison. It is "testing" like this that tells me that we don't know "jack" about how things really work or how to measure the truly important aspects of electronics operation. Unfortunatetly, everything in life does not boil down to 1 and 0's nor can we explain everything. That's why "theories" are simply "theories" and NOT fact. Sean
>
http://www.amusicdirect.com

PS.... i have NO affiliation with ANY of the products that i mention here or in any of my posts. I am NOT in the audio business at this point in time.