Cable "burning": Real or VooDoo ???

While i have my opinions on this subject, i'd love to hear from others that have tried various methods of "burning in" cables, what was used to do it, what differences were noticed ( if any ), etc... Please be as specific as possible. If your a "naysayer" in this area, please feel free to join in BUT have an open mind and keep this thread on topic. Sean
>
sean
OK Sean you know my answer but for the others...
I bought 2 pair of Synergistics (from Albert) the Resolution Reference MKII's, not exactly cheap. Charactaristics were initialy pleasing, but after several days use the highs were very veiled & I'm thinking "oh no" they're broken in now & I've made a mistake here. Albert says continue playing them so I did that. Highs came back a few days later, then dropped out again days after that. I was driving him nuts over the phone "keep playing them" he insists; I'll even take them back but I want you to wait A MONTH. OK Albert. I even called Synergistic; got the same story from Scott Novak. I got tired of listening to them fluctuate so I connected a pair to my VCR's audio out's & looped back to its' inputs as a dummy load. The other pair went on the tuner's 2nd. pr. of outputs routed into a signal processor's inputs as dummy load. Didn't touch them for 30 days. Finally put them back online & guess what - all was fine it it stayed that way too. Added the active shielding later on which greatly expanded stage & image.
Hi Sean, I hate breaking in cables in my system so I offer my cables to friends or I will put them in my Moms system without her knowing about it. I also have a duo tech cable break in thingy that does a good job. The difference after break in is like the difference between a cold start and a system that has been warmed up for several hours. It makes a HUGE improvement IMO.
There was a post (forget which thread) and the individual described a method for making a cheap SE resistance cable break-in device. Half watt, 10K ohm resistor and an RCA plug. Sounded like a reasonable approach. Does anyone know of any similar cheapo methods for making your own balanced device for breaking in cables? Is the described approach okay? Thanks.
Hi Sean,
I too use the Duo-Tech Cable Enhancer with good results and yes, after using this devices to break in the cables, there is an obvious difference. Even did a comparison on 2 cables, same brand and the ones on the Duo-Tech sounded better overall. Another cheaper product is the XLO burn in cd.
Regards
Ramesh
I have noticed nothing but improvements as a cable breaks in. Becoming smoother, less bright, more extended at both frequency extremes. I don't have a fancy apparatus for cable break-in. For speaker cables, I simply run them hard. Usually for two to three weeks. At least a few hours a day. For interconnects, I learned a nice little method here on Audiogon(thanks to whoever suggested it, apologies for not remembering their name). I insert the cable between my tuner and integrated amp(preamp for those who have one). I keep the tuner on(which I always do anyway). The amp is off, but the tuner is selected. I have found that this actually works!