Where Coming Back

Article in the New York Times today indicating big buck audio is coming back.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/garden/the-new-audio-geeks.html

However, the 'product placement' in the article are lo fi.
buconero117
Geoffkait-The Late 80's were the beginning of home theater systems for the masses not the death of hi-end-audio. HEA rebounded in the 90's with better cd playback and the acceptance(of some) with the importance of cables, vibration control and even the early stages of powerline quality. The Y2K decade brought the resurgence of vinyl and the vast improvement in smaller speakers. Currently pc audio is slowly being refined. My point is there will always be people that will search for the "best" sound regardless of the software format. Just like Rock n Roll HEA will never die!
Dayglow, looks good on paper. I suspect the masses just want more and more convenience and not too concerned with the sound quality except in a general kind of way. I am pretty sure there are a lot less audio stores today, not more, since Excaliber closed its doors in the 80s. Unless less is more. lol. The "vast improvement in small speakers" is probably not a good example for making your point with respect to the resurgence of High End Audio. In addition, if I can be so bold, CD players and Blu Ray players these days sound rather generic, lifeless and threadbare, at least off the shelf ones, just like they always used to. Lol. Maybe that explains the resurgence of vinyl.
Geoffkait-Your right there are less "brick and mortar" stores now then in the late 80's, and I do agree home theater created a small setback for 2/channel HEA. As stated before the 90's was a decade of refinement and new discoveries. I disagree that the improvement in small speakers did not help the HEA industry. Many don't have the room, finances, or WAF to accommadate a large speaker thus a high quality monitor will help keep current and attract new audiophiles.