Good, better, best. VPI Classic 1 accessories and upgrades.

The time has come! Here and now. The venerable Thorens VN-150 (Vinyl nirvana gussied up) Is going to be replaced with a VPI classic 1. Vinyl Nirvana, I like that…
The available accessories and upgrades are being bandied about and I'm interested in which ones you more experienced VPI owners would recommend. The HRX center weight and dustcover are on my must-have list with these others as maybes:
HRX ring peripheral weight
HRX feet
SDS
3D tonearm

Look forward to your input and Enjoy the tunes!
budburma
Zephyr is high output so best matched w/moving magnet phono input. If your Klyne expects lower output moving coil cart, could be trouble. Klyne makes great phono stages so I'm sure you'll be happy and be able to hear the subltler changes you're contemplating. Cheers,

Spencer
I've had a Classic since 2010 and never had the inclination to change decks, which is really rare for me. I had an Aries back in the day and hated it. I only bought the Classic after being disappointed with Sota and Mitchell tables. The Classic had all of this great word of mouth, so I tried it, and have never even thought about changing it since. It's been wonderful.

The only issue I've ever had, is due to the placement of the motor it requires a well shielded cartridge. But the Soundsmith VPI Zephyr has been amazing since the day I put that on.

Accessories that I've tried:

SDS - No change in sound at all. I have an APC S15 power filter/battery backup that works great and I think that gives me very good power. I used a couple of PS Audio products that were good as well. I sold this after trying it out for a month with not change in sound at all.

Center weight - they are all about the same, I have an off brand one now, I don't remember the name. It's exactly the same to my ear as the VPI center weight (which I bought with the turntable). I sold the VPI version, kept the current one that I used with an older table.

VPI Periphery Ring - an absolute must. Great items worth it's weight in gold sound-wise.

Gingko Isolation Platform - I've used these with every table since I first tried one. It makes a huge difference in sound.
I have an ET 2.5 arm on mine with 4 Stillpoint ultra 5's for feet. They are also using isoclean points.

The sound that comes out of this tables has stopped me from thinking about upgrading.

Tim
Now I really wish I hadn't sold off my Eden Brass!! I think that the SDS is scrubbed given the speed stability and the new table's even improved stability. The periphery ring, center weight and good isolation look like the triumvirate. A new arm maybe down the road....that ET looks pretty insane, flying in the "classic" face in a good kind of retro industrial precision way. And, some cartridge experiments to have some fun with along the way. I'll post follow ups as it comes together.....MUCHOS GRACIAS AMIGOS!
I've been running a VPI SSM Reference since 2011 and have been tweaking things ever since. Your new TT is capable of a lot better sound and there are some things that really can make a difference:

1. Don't mourn the loss of your bear-paws. Take another look at the Eden Sound galleries on their web-site and look at their combination of Eden Stone and brass called TerraCones. There are several shots of them mounted on VPI tables. The combination of materials is better than either one alone. Also, they make it easy to level the TT and cost about the same as a set of VPI HRX feet.

2. The SDS can be had for about $800 used. The Falcon is onl a fraction of that new. If you hunt down Harry's blog on the VPI website, there is a thread there where HW discusses a shooutout he did when comparing the two.

3. Think about a new or used record mat. The Boston 2 mat I bought did wonders for my set up and there are probably better ones out there used.

4. Counterintuitive makes azimuth setting easy.

5. Don't be too quick to damp the arm. I recommend no damping at all unless you have a specific problem that may be helped by damping, and then, only add a small increment at a time and let it settle in for a few hours before doing any more critical listening.

6. Record clamp and weight - These seem to be up to around a thousand bucks new. You might actually do better for a lot less by looking at the sales from TTW from time to time.

7. Avoid buying a VPI phono interconnect. They rob the music of more detail and high frequency extension than any cable I have tried in that role.

8. Get a good digital scale that is capable of measuring to .001 grams. When your system is tweaked enough, you will easily be able to notice extremely small changes in VTF and the extra resolution of the scale will be important.