Which phono preamps among these three?

1. Manley Chinook Tube phono stage
2. Whest PS.30R
3. Aesthetix Rhea

I picked these three because they are currently available for sale in audiogon, and all three have very good reviews. All three are a bit over my budget at the moment, but I expect to get enough fund in the short future.

I mostly listen to Jazz (50s-60s) and classicals, occasionally pops and rocks. Rhea is more expensive than the other two, but Rhea supports three inputs while the other supports only one input, switchable to MM or MC. The other two cost about the same as used Rhea.

If you are to pick one, which one? For what reason? Is one definitely better than the others? Or, they are pretty much in the same league with different characteristics?
128x128ihcho
I've heard the Chinook and Rhea, in systems I know well though not the same system. I've not compared them directly but did compare each to a (much costlier) Doshi Alaap. The statements below relate my impression of each vs. the Alaap. As a comparison this is unfair, but knowing how each performs against a higher fidelity standard might be useful. So, compared to an Alaap...

... the Chinook was highly susceptible to microphonic pickup and amplification of airborne vibrations. This happened with several different tube swaps. If we played the music at all loud, the Chinook inserted quite a bit of feedback-based mud. If one's setup permitted the Chinook to be isolated/protected from external sounds, including sounds emanating from the speakers, this would not be an issue, in which case the performance is pretty good.

... the Rhea's useability/adjustability are a joy but compared to the Alaap it sounded fairly muddy at all volumes. This was the original Rhea with the stock tubes.

Haven't heard the Whest. Hope this helps.
Much depends on the cartridge(s) you intend to pair them with and the preamp you will use. Gain and impedance compatibility are the key elements.
I had the Chinook and it was somewhat sensitive to microphonics and noise issues, but generally it sounded quite musical and respectable.

I also owned a Whest PS 30RDT (early version) for a while and it was quite good sounding although I believe I had to remove the cover to get to the gain and loading adjustments.

One sleeper you might want to consider is the PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter. It's a very good performing solid-state piece that has externally accessible adjustments, polarity reversal on the front panel and a built-in A to D converter so you can record your records direct to a laptop or PC (@ up to 24-bit, 192kHz resolution). In fact, in addition to the USB record output it has an RCA S/PDIF output if you want to run it into a DAC (although I liked the pure analog playback a bit better).

Another thing about the PS Audio piece is that it's fairly immune to acoustic feedback. I have my turntable and phono stage only a few feet from my Legacy Focus SE speakers that go down to 18Hz in the bass (and are generally very strong in the bass). Even at fairly loud levels with crazy bass the PS Audio NPC remained totally focused, clear, and noise free. I was amazed how taut and powerful the bass could be out of a basic Michell TecnoDec sitting so close to the Focus SE speakers!