how do you set VTA onthe SME 309 tonearm?

The manual says this is achieved by moving the main pillar up or down by hand but I have tried this with no success.The manual makes no mention of anything that must be loosened; such as a hex bolt or screw. Help!!
audio779
"04-14-15: Yogiboy
TKetcham answered the question in full detail early in this thread. Talk about beating a dead horse!"

Yes, but what good is it going to do for him if he doesn't have the tool you need to do the work?
Zd542,the op never said he did not have the tool. I have the 309 tonearm and it is the same tool used to adjust the tracking force. Why the presumption that he needed the tool? All he asked was how to raise and lower the arm. So yes we are beating a dead horse!
Zd542, you're correct, without the right tool it's impossible to adjust the VTA on a SME 309. Good thing there's a forum like this one where people like Audio779 can ask questions and get some answers. Just like the answers I (and others) provided. Are we missing something?

Regards,
Tom
"04-14-15: Yogiboy
Zd542,the op never said he did not have the tool. I have the 309 tonearm and it is the same tool used to adjust the tracking force. Why the presumption that he needed the tool? All he asked was how to raise and lower the arm. So yes we are beating a dead horse!"

I'm assuming the OP doesn't have the right tool for a couple of reasons. When I did a search looking for some pics of the arm to see what he was talking about, I noticed in the pictures where the arm in the original packaging, they show a tool in with the arm. If the OP bought the arm used, there's a really good chance that it wasn't included. He probably had no idea the special tool was needed to adjust the arm. Also, when you look at the tamper proof bolts, and compare it to the tool that comes with the arm, its use is self explanatory. You really can't mistake what its application. So, if the tool came with the kit, the OP would have never needed to start this thread.

That said, is it possible that you're right and I'm wrong? I would say yes. Maybe the OP is really bad with tools and just doesn't have the ability to do what's needed. I don't think that its a likely scenario, but its in the realm of possibility.
Zd542, the bolts are not "tamper proof" and no "special" tool is needed. SME does include a handy hex driver but a simple 3mm hex key works just fine. The OP asked the question because the instructions on how to adjust tonearm height (VTA) is not very clear in the instruction manual. He was provided the answer he was looking for. Your posts are just making things complicated and confusing, and now you're starting to insult the OP. Let it go.