Ring Clamps. What do you think?

First let me say that I have not had the opportunity to hear a ring clamp. At a $1000 list price it is not a top priority. It would seem to me that the whole concept would be detrimental to good sound. Like an acoustic guitar, a record needs to breathe. Weight and air play a vital role. I do use a record clamp, wouldn't be caught dead without it, but a heavy metal ring laying on top of my album holding it down doesn't appeal to me. I could be wrong.
dreadhead
Doudeacon I appreciate your passion, but what I wrote was in essence summarising what is in the Ringmat website. Only heard one in use on a Platine Verdier - not exactly a NOISY table like my NOISY EMT 950 - which I happen to have not yet got working - theorising without experience. I am only making the point that this is a forum and people have a right to theorising without being vilified for it. I have used both weights and screw down clamps and listened without as well. I am sure the use of such clamps are not a one size fits all approach - that's about all I can fairly say
Lohanimal,

Thanks for your reply. I intended nothing personal and I didn't vilify you.

What I wrote was in response to your (correct) quotations from the Ringmat website, which demonstrate that their marketing doesn't align with their product. They are not the only company whose advertising lacks a basis in reality.

Agree that a "one size fits all" approach would not be effective for clamps or mats, as I said above.
The thread was about outer record clamps so here is a comparison:

Price, ease of use, materials and PRICE!

TTW Outer Rings vs. VPI and ClearAudio Outer Rings

http://www.ttweights.com/ring-payment.html
Doug, I started the thread, why would I be trolling? If you read my original question you would have my seen my final comment,"I could be wrong". Vacuums weren't practical and went away, in my opinion outer ring clamps are a luxury, if not a fad.