Which Turntable??

It is time for me to go back to vinyl.

For a turntable I am debating between a new Pro-Ject Elemental belt drive with W & F given as .14% & a used Technics SL-1800 DD with W & F given as .025% wrms.

Is this a typo or is the 1800 really that much better? Technics describes their W & F as infinitesimal.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks---r
roscoe50
What is your goal? The Elemental is a USB table. This means it not only has a built-in analog-to-digital converter (ADC), but also a built-in phono preamp, so you can plug it directly into any standard line level preamp. Do you need these things or are you better off spending your money on more turntable and less on preamps and converters?

Speed accuracy is important to a good LP playback experience, but it's not the only thing, and .13-14% isn't bad. The Elemental is $275; how much is the Technics SL1800 and what is its condition?

Each turntable has its own merits; direct drive turntables have a pretty low noise floor, excellent speed accuracy (if the spindle is lubricated and everything is in good working order) and has a strong, rhythmic drive with an assertive midrange. Belt drive tables with elastic belts such as the Element tend to have a more laid back presentation, perhaps not as driving or compelling as a DD when the music calls for it.

It's also helpful to know what preamp/amp and speakers you'd be plugging this into.
I started with Pro-Ject turntables. They're great for the money but other options may be more appealing to you. Depending on budget and other equipment considerations, you may to consider the VPI Scout. I've never regretted this purchase. Absolutely phenomenal turntable from start to finish. I had the Ortofon 2M Black installed professionally and never looked back. Good luck!
Thanks for comments. Actually the Elemental is avail with or w/o USB/ preamp. There is no need for that feature.

By speed accuracy i assume you mean wow & flutter. What I was struck by is the big difference--- .025 comp to .15 for the Elemental. Is that because the former is DD?

I am using a Denon 395 going through a 4 spkr, 4 ohm set up. The speakers are Def Tech SM45 & JBL G300.

VPI Scout looks like it is a bit high.

r
When the 4/ 4 set doesn't give enough bass I will hit the Loudness & most of the time one or the other spkr will do the trick.