last night a dj deck saved my life

I find the audiophile, professional, and the bedroom dj the three funniest audio animals of all. I got into records from DJ'ing, and it was DJ'ing that kept vinyl alive for my generation and helped bring a revival to vinyl - trust me I listen to very different vinyl now since back in the day, but when i speak to record stores it really is the dj and ex-dj's that are the biggest customers. They want torque, solid build and accurate speed control.
Lie the DJ the professional wants accuracy in reproduction, specs, and solid build.The audiophile is unique - ethereal - in touch with the x-factor and things beyond measurable performance.
Both pros and DJ's get what they require, and live with it - the audiophile is always in search of that little bit more.
Most interesting is the fact that the direct drive audiophile is definitely changing into a pro/dj type.
So with that in mind I am surprised Diyers are simply going for the technics 1210 and 1200's. The Numarks and Audio Techinicas use three phase brushless dc direct drive motors with 16 poles as opposed to the 12 pole technics motors. They are significantly more powerful and torquie So why don't we give them a go?
lohanimal
Art Dudley has discussed the issue of torque and turntables in his column in Stereophile.
"Then there is also the truism that "the truth is usually in the middle". IOW, yes, the DJ wants torque and accurate speed control, but don't forget that the DJ's #1 goal is to get people dancing. I think audiophiles would sometimes do well by worrying more about wether the table makes them want to dance and less about the "ethereal"; whatever that is."

It's not so much a sound quality issue as it is an issue of functionality. The application for a speed control that a DJ uses is completely different than for audiophile use. An audiophile wants to spin a record at a single, consistent speed, that alters as little as possible. A DJ needs a speed control to beat match. The speed usually varies from song to song. That's what I was trying to say in my first post. They're just 2 different applications. Kind of like tube amps and tube guitar amps. There's no relation.
No guys..
I think he just got off on a tangent before he got started with the story. I think he's just still reeling (BTW.. Why don't DJ's use reel to reels more often? Oh. sorry. Got off on a tangent of my own there for a second..) from his near death experience. He is a techie after all, and that's where his traumatized mind would venture, right?
Give him a few. I'm guessing he launched darts at the bad guys at 78rpm!
Zd542, I think you may have missed my point. To your point: enough torque has been shown to be very important for maintaining consistent rotational speed; which, in turn, affects PRAT. Some designs take advantage of inertia (heavy platter) for similar results, but to simply be able to rotate the correct speed is not enough for good results.

BTW, tube guitar amps are chosen for their sound as much as anything.

Cheers.