Ortofon Anna or Transfuration Proteus?

I am now using SPU Gold cartridge with Ortofron 309 tonearm and Garrard 301 turntable, together with a Bob's Device SUT to Shindo Monbrison preamp.

I am considering upgrading the cartridge to either Ortofon Anna or Transfuration Proteus, looking for higher resolution and separation, more dynamic and air, and better tonal colour. (...am I asking to much?)

Much appreciated for your input.

bigdish
Disclaimer- I'm a dealer and sell these products!

I have your arm, table and cartridge and am very familiar with with that combination but not your SUT. I'm familiar with your Shindo too but don't currently have one. The Proteus isn't a good match with either your Garrard or the Ortofon arm. It will be too dead. I love the McAnna but I think its somewhat of an overkill for your 301+309 combination and a waste of money. I like the 301 very much but its not the last word in resolution and either the Winfeld, Cadenza Bronze or Black are better suited to your setup. Alternatively you can buy the SPU Classic which is livelier and more musical than the soft sounding Gold, not one of my favorite SPUs and a bad match with the Shindo.

Feel free to check out my systems so you know where I'm coming from.

david
Phil
Thanks. It is certainly not my intention to question or invalidate your listening impressions. I have no quarrel with the statement that cart "X" sounded sterile in a particular system. That is a valid empirical observation. I do have a serious problem with the inference that can follow, namely that cart "X" is a sterile sounding cart.
David
Completely agree that the Proteus, Garrard 401 and 309D is a very ordinary combination. The 309D is best with cartridges that tend to be fast and agile. I am getting superb results with a Lyra Atlas. The newer SPU should be a great match.
Best
Pradeep
Disclaimer- I'm a dealer and sell these products!

Sunnyboy1956, The ST-80 you mentioned in one of your posts is actually one of the best sounding ones that Ortofon's ever made. It was specifically designed for the Winfeld, Xpression and McAnna and is highly recommended for owners of these cartridges. It works well with some other cartridges too but like all SUTs your mileage will vary depending on the system and cartridge.

david
Understood Pradeep. I think that was what I was wanting to clarify. Although my impression was that in most systems the Lyra may sound more analytical and detailed than musical, the caveat was that I only heard it in three different systems and there are way too many variables not accounted for. So I agree, it is probably premature of me to make any blanket statement. And you are correct too - I am definitely in the minority camp that thinks the Lyra 'house sound' is a little on the dry side.

By the way, not to hijack the thread but I auditioned the Rockport Avior last month and going for a second audition the end of Dec!